3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Removing Windows Update downloads

I posted this on the general windows forum four days ago, but so far no replies - can anyone help please.

I have downloaded hundreds of MS updates and installed most of them, amounting to many gigabytes, many of which are for programs I do not have such as Office 2007 and Outlook. Do these downloads get automatically deleted once installed if not is it safe to delete them and if so where do I find them (Windows 7 home edition). Also, they all seem to have uninstall programs, do those get deleted if the download is deleted.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    On 7, things are not similar to what they were with XP. You should use CleanMgr to delete uneeded stuff, using the option to remove system files, as well, to remove Service Pack installation backup stuff.

You can also follow the advice given by Fred Langa here: https://windowssecrets.com/langalist...-down-to-size/
    Rui
    -------
    R4

3. The Following User Says Thank You to ruirib For This Useful Post:

mike21 (2013-05-28)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mike21 View Post

I have downloaded hundreds of MS updates and installed most of them, amounting to many gigabytes, many of which are for programs I do not have such as Office 2007 and Outlook.
    I have seen 'Office' updates listed on systems that only have Microsoft Office viewers such Excel, Word, Powerpoint, etc., installed.

To remove Windows Updates, click Start > Control Panel-> Uninstall a Program > View installed updates (on the left). The overview is sorted by "Installed on" by default which should help locating the update. You can also type KB and the number in the search field in the top right corner to easily locate the update. (For instance: KB1234567). Once found, select the update and click the "Uninstall" button.

A word of caution: If the update you are trying to uninstall is an update that fixes a security issue, it is highly recommended to leave the update installed and see if there is a workaround available for the issue you are experiencing with the update. If there is no workaround, read the security bulletin for the update to verify if you are affected by this security flaw and/or if there are other ways to protect you from this. If there is, you can safely remove the update if you take those measurements.

Service Packs can be safely removed as long as the previous Service Pack or original release is still supported (as Service Packs also contain security updates). Other non-security updates can be safely removed as well.

##

Do these downloads get automatically deleted once installed if not is it safe to delete them and if so where do I find them (Windows 7 home edition).
    Yes, the downloads for Windows updates should be deleted by the installation routine.

##

Also, they all seem to have uninstall programs, do those get deleted if the download is deleted.
    If the uninstall program and download are two different files, then no, the uninstall program would not automatically be deleted by simply deleting the download.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to SpywareDr For This Useful Post:

mike21 (2013-05-28)

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks to both. I do not want to remove the updates as presumably downloaded updates to software I do not have, such as Office 2007, are not installed anyway; the question refers to the downloads of updates themselves. Once they are downloaded they are installed and the download itself is then presumably no longer of any use. Is the download automatically removed once say internet explorer has been updated or does the download remain on the computer, just uselessly filling up the hard drive - if the latter is the case how do I manually remove it, if the former I should be quite happy.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    Not sure whether the downloads are kept. I would think they are saved as temp files, so cleaning your temp files will get rid of whatever may be left, in case it is left. Use cleanmgr for that, remembering to choose to clean system files as well.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

Thanks

Once they are downloaded they are installed and the download itself is then presumably no longer of any use. Is the download automatically removed once say internet explorer has been updated or does the download remain on the computer, just uselessly filling up the hard drive
    Yes, the download is automatically removed by the installation routine. It does not "remain on the computer, just uselessly filling up the hard drive".

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    The download may be removed but the unpacked servicing information is kept. This is the equivalent of the $UnInstall... file from XP. They are kept in the WinSXS conglomeration. With Win7 there is no direct way to remove these files.

Joe