2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Post Turning File History On or Off

Please bear with me whilst I explain: Whilst away from home caravaning I purchased a new 3TB external USB HD and used it to keep a backup history of my files, i.e. with File History in W8. All went okay. When I got home I attached an older 1TB external USB HD and tried to use it for the same purpose. The Laptop recognised the 1TB HD, but File History would not recognise it. File History kept saying my File History drive was not connected and it could not save to the 1TB HD. At first I thought it was because the drive letter was originally F and the drive letter for the 1TB came up as E (because there was only 1 USB attached not 2 devices). I fooled the 1TB into changing the drive letter to F (by attaching another drive first, which became E). However, File History still would not recognise this older 1TB HD which had a drive letter of F now. I then went to the caravan, got out the 3TB HD and low and behold File History recognised it and began the save process to it. My question: Why can't I attach another USB external HD to the laptop and have File History recognise it? Is there a way to force File History to recognise another USB external HD?
    Sorry about being so long winded. The reason I am asking is that the 1TB USB HD attached to my PC (this is a seperate one) is almost full and I will have to use another one soon.
    Casso

Thanks
    I think you need to turn FH off and then use settings to point to the new drive. It's logical (I think) as it's backing up to a file system on the external drive and you don't have that file system on it. There's also configuration files that won't be there or will be mismatched. Of course it will start from scratch if you do this.

There's also another issue. If you restore from a disk image, then when you look at file history through the 'history' menu item in File Explorer, you won't see any files backed up after the image was created. However, if you navigate to the USB drive, and go to the relevant folders, any changed files will be there. I did this once but couldn't see any way of restoring the link but I was able to search for the relevant files and copy them to the C drive, after renaming them (their names have a date and time string added for when they were saved).

Hope this helps
    Malcolm

3. The Following User Says Thank You to access-mdb For This Useful Post:

casso (2013-05-28)

Thanks
    As long as File History is left ON, it will continue to look for the original file name to modify. As @access-mdb states turn File History off, insert the 1 Tb Ext HD then turn File History on and start the process over. Be advised that the first time you save everything to the 1 Tb Ext HD it will take quite a while just as it did with the 3 Tb Ext HD the first time you stored your File History there.

Since my data storage needs are minor in comparison to many posting here, File History is turned off regularly when I finish with it each month. When turned back on, it looks for that file name in particular locations (generally Ext locations from the HD to be backed-up), and if it finds the file name it has used in the past for this backup, it will automatically modify this file. If it does not find the expected file name it creates a new file on the found back-up media.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Medico For This Useful Post:

casso (2013-05-28)

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    TX for replies, both of which make sense. When my PC gets to the stage of needing a large USB HD I will implment your suggestions (that won't be far away now). Whilst on the subject: Which of the two options is best - let windows manage the space or do it yourself?
    Regards

Thanks
    Win 8 does a much better job of managing space, so I would generally let Windows do the job.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Medico For This Useful Post:

casso (2013-05-30)

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Related File History Thread

Perhaps a helpful work-around.
    http://windowssecrets.com/forums/sho...t=file+history