Thanks

Question Changing desktop icons

I know it's a 'little' thing, but............

With XP I was able to change the default icons for My Computer, My Documents and the Recycle Bin. In Windows 8, I've been able to change both My Computer and My Documents. The Recycle Bin is another matter. Sure, I can change it, but..... here's the deal. I want to use a 'blank' icon for when the Recycle Bin is empty (you see no icon, just Recycle Bin) and I use an icon of the full moon when there's something in the Recycle Bin.

This set up worked fine with XP. 8 on the other hand, doesn't do so well. It shows the full moon icon, period. Doesn't matter if there's anything in the Recycle Bin or not. I tried using a different icon for when the bin was empty, didn't make any difference. It still showed the icon I set for when the bin is full.

Any way to remedy this, or am I stuck with the default Windows icon?

TIA

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    Try this - right click on the desktop. Select "Personalize". In the left column click on "Change Desktop Icons".

Joe

Thanks
    That's the exact method I used. The Recycle Bin will use either of the icons but not both. It's either the blank icon or the full moon icon. I just tried again, thought it was going to work. Recycle Bin was empty, I applied the blank icon. Then created a new folder on the desktop, then deleted it. No change to the icon, it remained blank, not changing to the full moon icon.

Thanks
    Another option would be to loose the recycle bin from the desktop altogether.
    If you feel a need to constantly monitor whether it's full or empty, make a toolbar of your desktop.
    You can also adjust the amount of space available to recover items sent there per drive or partition.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by CLiNT View Post
    Another option would be to loose the recycle bin from the desktop altogether.
    If you feel a need to constantly monitor whether it's full or empty, make a toolbar of your desktop.
    You can also adjust the amount of space available to recover items sent there per drive or partition.
    I know that I can remove the recycle bin from the desktop. Also know about sizing the bin, have it set for 100MB across all drives. I'm just so used to the XP desktop that I wanted 8 to emulate it.

Been checking all over online and it seems that my only option to get it to work the way I want is..... build a dll file. WAY over my head. So I guess I'm stuck with what I've got.

I like having the bin on the desktop because I use CCleaner and it's easy to right click the bin and run CCleaner rather that open it every time I use the cleaner.

thanks

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Is the full moon icon custom-made? It might have something to do with its properties not agreeing with W8 if so because I just tried blank and the default bin icon and it switches back and forth just fine. I'll see if I can make one with Irfanview and report back.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Ya, mixed results, custom icon and a slick, downloaded three arrow recycle icon both worked BUT, it would only switch back to blank after emptying and I refreshed the desktop screen. What's more it didn't switch back to true blank, it turned into a shaded placeholder instead. End of experiment.
    Last edited by F.U.N. downtown; 2013-05-31 at 01:13.

Thanks
    The blank icon I downloaded amongst a bunch of icons. The moon icon is a picture that I saw online. I pasted it into IrfanView, resized and saved as an icon file (ico).

Here's the particulars on the icons.

iconsb.jpg

Thanks
    Well, after searching and searching, I found the fix. Recycle bin icons are doing what I want. So, if you ever run into the problem, or someone else does.... here's the fix.

http://darkwurm.tumblr.com/post/3532...-automatically

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Odos270 For This Useful Post:

bbearren (2013-06-03)

Thanks
    I'm glad you got it working like you want, and thanks for posting your success and the solution you found.
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows