Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Lounger
    Thanks
    I like using pass phrases with just the first letter of an easily remembered sequence plus a couple of numbers (many sites require a combination of letters and numbers)
    Thus "This is my secret bank account password Christmas" would become "Timsbap1225."
    Incidentally, that's nowhere near what I use for my actual passwords.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Hello

Am I right in thinking that there are two threads running in tandem here; or am I just being thick?
    My point is in regards to passwords, I don't use and codecs or similar, I'm simply not bright enough.
    All I have an excel sheet filed in "my documents" with all the relevant details (company, banks, user names etc) together with their relevant passwords, complicated as possible & totally random and simply "copy & paste" as required.

As no one has mentioned this system am I wonderfully clever or have I made the most basic error??

As always advice and guidance is most appreciated!!

Thanks
    Sgt,

Welcome to the Lounge as a new poster.

The basic error you have made, from what I can tell from your post, is that this file is stored in the clear. Thus, anyone who gets access to your PC or just the hard drive has all your information. Now if you get a program like TrueCrypt and encrypt that file with a strong password and only open the file when you need it you'll be just fine. HTH
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

VBA Rules!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for this; I had a feeling that I was making a basic error when I noticed that no-one else including the more experienced were not employing the same tactic.
    I will look at encryption, but if I merely used a memory stick and attached and detached it as required would I not achieve the same result?

Thanks Richard

Thanks
    Richard,

Yes that would get the same results except it's too easy to forget and leave it in the computer and you'd have to lock it up somewhere not leave it sitting by the computer...sort of like using post-it notes for passwords. Personally, I use RoboForm Desktop well worth the money and no cut and paste involved as it fills the online fields for you. I'm just sayin'... HTH
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

VBA Rules!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12