Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Star Lounger
    Thanks

Unhappy My son's VAIO is near death

Hi guys:

if anyone can help me I will be eternally grateful. Here's what's up:

My son the cop has a Sony VAIO that is about 5 years old. It's old enough that the installed OS is Windows Vista.

He can't make it run and the local Data Doctors told him it would be too expensive and ill-advised to try to fix it. They told him to get a new one and he did. He is a country music nut and has scores of country albums in his iTunes account.

He wants his pop to find a way to get the music off the VAIO and on to the new HP 2000 laptop he's got. I've been around the block a few times so I figured I could do it.

Here's where the fun starts. I cannot get the #$#()&$ VAIO to boot up. Not even plain old Safe Mode will work. It begins to load *.sys files and the last one I can see is crcdisk.sys.

I am wondering if it will work for me to remove his HDD and hook it up to the HD 2000 or my desktop - anything that will work.

Is this a good idea? Will it work? If not, well... guys, I really need some help. Thanks to all who stop by and give my sad situation a glance.

Jack in Phoenix Arizona

Thanks
    Jack, Welcome to the Lounge.

You say he has scores of albums in his iTunes account. Why can't they be downloaded again from that account? I do not use iTunes, but many subscription music services do allow access to an account by the account holder for this purpose. Perhaps contacting iTunes would help.

You might also try booting to the Rescue disk or Installation disk and see if you can access the drive in that way. Are you certain the PC will not boot because it's dying or because it has a malware infestation? If the latter, bringing the songs forward from that drive might very well bring the infestation forward as well.

If you can boot to a Rescue or Installation disk, open a command prompt and type sfc /scannow This command may find and fix problems with the system. Again, if you do a search with this command you will find many articles on the hows and whys of this command.

Once you have solved this problem, you might try to partition the new PC drive to separate the data onto another partition. This might help in the future to allow access to the data partition for this very purpose. Many sites show the proper method to move data to a new partition. Here is one from PC World.
    Last edited by Medico; 2013-05-29 at 05:41.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    When you boot in safe mode does it just hang? Do you get any errors?

What happens when you try a normal boot?

Joe

Thanks
    You should be able to remove the old hard disk from the VAIO and attach it to the new laptop via a USB to SATA cable like this:
    http://www.microcenter.com/product/2...TA-IDE_Adapter

Here's a link from Apple on moving Itunes to a new computer.

Jerry

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Morning, guys. And thank you for taking time to shoot me some help. Let me take your questions and suggestions from the top:

Medico:
    - the music in the iTunes player were not purchased from the Apple Store. He acquired them from other places. I do believe that is an idea I can work with, since many were purchased from the same source.

- I would love to try the Rescue / installation disk. I'll see if he has one. Confidence is not high that such a thing is still in his possession, if it exists. He has never been too interested in maintenance-type activities.

JoeP517:
    - When I boot in Safe mode it just hangs during the loading process. No "errors" listed.
    - Normal boot, it just hangs, and that's that.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    thank YOU, jwitalka. This is right along the lines of a "solution" I am seeking.

We aren't seeking a fix to extend the life of the VAIO. Just want to get the stuff off the drive. I just purchased it from Amazon. I have a PRIME account which gives us free shipping, making the adapter quite a bit cheaper than Micro Center. Also, since I live in Phoenix, these things from Amazon seem to arrive minutes after I place the order. I think it has to do with warehouses being located near here.

That is neither here nor there, where our current problem is concerned. When I get the adapter, I will check back in. Thanks again, jwitalka.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Another consideration is to get the Installation disc(s) from the manufacturer if the above ideas are unsuccessful and try to get into System Recovery mode (F11 might get you into it) and go from there
    --- Then you could try sfc /scannow as already mentioned in post #2 but let us know when'if you are willing to try that
    --- I believe the cost is about $20-$30 and it would be good idea to know/find out what the 25 character product id is as you might need it; not sure at this time
    --- I know its another expense but if the music is that important to get, it could be a pretty good investment if it works

Personally I hope the idea in post #4 works for you

Is the Sony VAIO a desktop computer?
    --- If it is, are there diagnostic LED lights on the back?
    --- If there are, note the colors and look up what they indicate on another computer for the make/model
    --- Is the color of the flicker LED light on the mother board red?
    Whether or not its a desktop or a laptop
    --- Are there any beeps upon startup?
    --- On the advice that it would be too expensive and ill-advised to try to fix it, did they say what it is?
    --- Was a faulty motherboard mentioned?

Thanks
    I am wondering if it will work for me to remove his HDD and hook it up to the HD 2000 or my desktop - anything that will work.
    This would be the best and quickest way to get what you need off the drive.

If the laptop is not "physically" broken, meaning, no hardware issues, then a simple OS reinstall or factory restore will be in order if you would
    like to get more use out of it, sell it on Craig's list, or just give it away.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    thanks cmptrgy. here is what I can tell you:

- The hunt for installation / rescue discs is in progress
    - the VAIO is a laptop. It does have the lights you mentioned. According to the icons above them, there are lights for power, battery status and HDD. When the computer is on, the HDD light flickers yellow.
    - I'm sorry but I don't know much about the visit to the Data Doctor. My son lives 125 miles away and he took it to the shop in Flagstaff.

The feeling I get is that this whole thing is hosed and they were right to tell him to get a new one. Too bad, in a sense. AS I recall, the PC has a lot of memory and the video is tops. If I could get it cleaned off, I'd be tempted to put it to use at our cabin in the mountains.

I will report back once the backup cable has arrived. Thanks again.

Thanks
    Both our Vaio laptops are at least that old, and both are running like champs. I do good maintenance on them to clean out garbage. I do have a good security scheme in place to keep out the garbage. It's possible something is dying, but it's also possible the OS is corrupt due to nefarious "stuff". I would definitely run the data you get off the PC if you do through a good AV/AM app before putting in on the new PC.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    you read my mind. I think I'll scan them twice.

The cable will likely be here Thursday.

While we're chatting, let me ask you: What do you think of Kapersky as an AV? I've been using Trend Micro for the past couple of years because my wife had an extra seat license but it's expiring and her company is going with a different product. I have heard Kapersky is pretty good, but then you hear that about a lot of them. Any opinion? Recommendation?

Jack in Phoenix

Thanks
    I have been using AVG AV 2013 for a while now, and really like it. Very unobtrusive. There is both a free and paid version. Prior to this, for several years I used MSE directly from MS. I actually had great success with this as well, but I got a free deal on the AVG paid version and took it because it included 3 licenses, one of which I used on my smart phone. I replaced MSE with AVG. I do not see a great difference between these two.

I have used Kapersky's online scanner in the past, but have not used the installed version. It seems I have read about some problems recently, but this might have been due to an update needed for Win 8.

I also use MalwareBytes Pro running in real time. This AM apps plays well with most AV apps. (remember not to run 2 AV apps in real time. They tend NOT to play well together). The MalwareBytes free version only allows manual scanning. There is no real time protection, but it is still a very fine app to have.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    we are on the same page, Medico. I used AVG on all my family's boxes for several years, until I got confused as the various subscriptions came up for renewal. I neglected to properly identify which one went to Billy in San Diego, or Mike in Flagstaff or me in Phoenix.

So I let them go on their own, just so long as they promised to keep an AV current. Then I got the Trend Micro deal from my wife's company.

So rather than date the new girl (Kaspersky) I think I'll go back to my old tried-and-true, AVG.

I, too, use Malware Bytes. only I have the free version. It is indispensable, so I should make it permanent. I also use Spybot. And Iolo's System Mechanic.

It's OK to laugh at my belt-and-suspenders behavior. I'm pretty certain I'm being redundant, but I can't decide which program(s) should go. Care to make a recommendation?

I have been a member of this forum for a long while (been a subscriber to Windows Secret's paid newsletter for years, and I followed Woody around ever since I read his book on Word for Windows 6 and found it the most helpful computer book ever.) I have the handle 50GreenDodge but I couldn't remember the damn password and didn't want to wait on asking for help on my son's Vista box so I rejoined.

Thanks, Medico. I appreciate it that there is someone out there willing to listen.

Jack in Phoenix

Thanks
    I sent you a PW reminder for that user name. I do not believe I can change this user to that but for future use, the reminder should get you back to the original user name.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks Medico.

Announcement: The SATA-USB cable arrived minutes ago, and I know what I will be doing for the remainder of this sweltering weekend in Phoenix, Arizona.

A little cool jazz from Cyrus Chestnut tonight, a workout at the gym in the morning and then the fun begins trying to resurrect the material on the VAIO.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast