Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

How the Windows Blue Start button may work

http://www.zdnet.com/heres-how-the-n...rk-7000016042/

If this is how it works, I still prefer Classic Shell but to each his own.

Jerry

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    I confess I don't really need one, in either form. I use it from time to time in 7, in 8 it has been replaced by pinned apps and search. Doesn't take that long to get used to it.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

Thanks
    I use pinned apps and search as well but I prefer using classic shell's search better than Win 8's. I don't have to leave the desktop and its one click to search for apps, control panel, or files. In Win 8 you have to use separate searches. For the admittedly rare Control panel browsing, I like the Classic shell's menu of control panel apps as well. But everyone has different preferences.

Jerry

Thanks
    I have StartIsBack. It works identically to the start button / menu in Windows 7.

I tried using Windows 8 for a while as-is, but I continually felt like I was being asked to tie one hand behind my back while working.

Kind of like holding the phone in one hand and trying to then type with only one hand. It's much better when you have a headset and both hands are free.

I would have ditched Windows 8 if not for something like StartIsBack. I don't need to do things Microsoft's way that bad.

With StartIsBack, I'm very pleased with Windows 8.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ruirib View Post
    I confess I don't really need one, in either form. I use it from time to time in 7, in 8 it has been replaced by pinned apps and search. Doesn't take that long to get used to it.
    Ya, as Jerry mentions about searching, with a start menu absent, you should mention just how you do search and if you leave indexing on or not vis-a-vis SSD usage or not. Also, does that mean you are primarily a search type person or not and did Win 8 effect any change there? For me it's not getting used to something, it is whether it is at least as effective (hopefully more so) as whatever was employed before and are there no adverse side effects compromising that alternate use?

So for me it's neither a preference or getting used to alternates; Win8 is incapable of passing muster without a start menu and further, the little tweaks being put into Windows management with third party start menus are some of the most interesting of the changes being effected upon Windows 8. Changes we could not and would not have ever gotten from Microsoft's ponderously slow update/upgrade cycle.
    Last edited by F.U.N. downtown; 2013-05-29 at 14:33.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by F.U.N. downtown View Post
    Ya, as Jerry mentions about searching, with a start menu absent, you should mention just how you do search and if you leave indexing on or not vis-a-vis SSD usage or not. Also, does that mean you are primarily a search type person or not and did Win 8 effect any change there? For me it's not getting used to something, it is whether it is at least as effective (hopefully more so) as whatever was employed before and are there no adverse side effects compromising that alternate use?

So for me it's neither a preference or getting used to alternates; Win8 is incapable of passing muster without a start menu and further, the little tweaks being put into Windows management with third party start menus are some of the most interesting of the changes being effected upon Windows 8. Changes we could not and would not have ever gotten from Microsoft's ponderously slow update/upgrade cycle.
    I have actually changed my Windows 7 habits, as well. I type more program names now, in 7, than I used to. It's just faster than scrolling the start menu. This change does come from using Windows 8 on my laptop. I also searched by programs in 7 before, but now I do it more often.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

Thanks
    Thanked 1,457 Times in 1,326 Posts

Latest on Start Button from PC World

Here's the article link.
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

Thanks
    Paul Thurrott > In Blue: Start Experience Changes
    I can now confirm that most of the rumored coming changes to the Start experience in Windows 8.1 “Blue” are correct. And I’ve got a few screenshots to help demonstrate how these changes are implemented. ...
    Clicking Windows 8.1's new Start Button while in the Desktop view:

(on the left)

simply takes the user back to the Metro Style (swinging tiles) Start Screen.

"Windows Blah"

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by SpywareDr View Post
    Paul Thurrott > In Blue: Start Experience Changes

Clicking Windows 8.1's new Start Button while in the Desktop view:

(on the left)

simply takes the user back to the Metro Style (swinging tiles) Start Screen.

"Windows Blah"
    Oh, that looks awful.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    hmmm so really they have added a FAKE start button and totally ignored everyone asking for the real start button to be restored. hmm in the words of John Grisham

"You must be Stupid, Stupid Stupid!"

Syb

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Apparently there is a plan to make Search automatically invoke Bing. I can't see that being allowed by the EU.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by sybex2 View Post

hmmm so really they have added a FAKE start button and totally ignored everyone asking for the real start button to be restored.

Since Microsoft considers the entire Windows 8 "Metro" screen a replacement for the old Windows Start Menu, then clicking a Start button on the Desktop should simply take the user back to the "Metro"/Start Menu screen.

Thanks
    I guess it's up to each individual user to decide what tiles to keep on the Start Screen and which to Unpin from the Start Screen. For those who do not know, Right Click a tile and choose Unpin from Start to eliminate that tile from the Start Screen. It will still be available on the All Apps screen. In this way you can keep only those tiles you use a lot.

Personally I will continue to use a Start Menu add-on for this purpose. This add-on along with my Toolbars gives me all the access I need.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    You guys are all thinking just in terms of desktop use. Don't get me wrong, I think it needs a start menu and not just a start button also, but as long as MS allows a third party replacement, no problem, and in fact, there is some nice evolution of the start menu interface going on because there is high demand and vendors are trying to differentiate a little.

The main point though is if one does had a touch device or touch desktop/laptop screen, this makes it super easy and direct and analogous to switch back an forth if the desktop is needed. That is a simplification that improves use compared to the present needlessly more complex and non-analogous interface. In other words MS is just making it easier and more intuitive to get to the Start screen, not to improve desktop use.

Thanks
    At some point in time (probably if/when this PC dies) I will be looking at touch enabled devices as a replacement. It's nice to know this change may make that easier.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast