Thread: Excel

New Lounger
    Thanks

Excel

when I try to delete or save my spreadsheet I get a message that Excel can not preform the task with the available resrouses. Please close other processes or chose less data. It looks like Excel is only using 2 gigs of ram. I have 14 gigs and am running Win 7 pRO. Is there any way to make Excel use more of what there is?

Thanks
    Ray, welcome to the forum

No wonder, 2Gb of Ram is a HUGE amount of RAM for Excel to use. Even though a minimum of 2GB is required, the entire Windows 7 Pro OS 64 bit uses much less than that. I have a fairly intense spreadsheet using 232Mb nearly 1/8 of that amount. Opening a blank spreadsheet uses 41Mb or 0.041Gb. Something seems terribly wrong. If your spreasdsheet has macros, try holding down the shift key while opening the workbook. This will side step them. Perhaps some running code is dumping a ton of data into memory. Check the size of a new Excel workbook for comparison. The file may just be corupted. Do a virus check with updated definitions.

Please post back
    Maud
    Last edited by Maudibe; 2013-05-30 at 22:24.

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Excel is known to be a memory hog and collapse under load when you have lots of links to other sheets. Are you running Office 2010 or higher? This should fix most of these issues.

As a test you could try loading the spreadsheet in the portable version of LibreOffice.

cheers, Paul

Thanks
    After a bit of research it turns out that this is an occasional occurence. They are isolated files in the midst of other excel files of normal size running on the same machine. General concensus is that the file is corrupted.

Thanks
    BTW, 32bit Excel will only use 2GB no matter how much RAM is available. You need 64bit Office to use more, although that has other drawbacks (Microsoft recommends using 32bit unless you regularly have need of working with huge files).
    Regards,
    Rory

Microsoft MVP - Excel