2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Ripping legal .wmv files

I have no experience running commercial videos on pc, but I did legally acquire a film a year or so back - .wmv format. I tried it on my desktop and it came up and I entered the authorization code as requested, and it ran fine. It still does though I have never watched it significantly as it is on my desktop. I would like to transfer it to my laptop and run our TV from that. Connecting to the TV and displaying sample videos is no problem. However the copy of the film I made on the desktop will not run on the laptop since when I enter the authorisation code it says I am only allowed one copy. Fair enough, but there seems no way of deleting the desktop authorisation.

So I tried several programs all of which were recommended as removing the protection (DVDFab9, MakeMKV, and a couple of others.) None of them even seem to recognise this wmv file as being a video let alone removing the protection. They would not allow selecting it for Open.

What am I missing here?

Peter

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    There is something proprietary on that wmv file that probably only can be resolved with the authorization software (some method for deauthorization first and then reauthorization on a different system). I don't have any experience with that at all but programs you've listed (and other ones like it) are proficient at removing copy protection placed in a commercial DVD or BluRay, not for your requirements.

Administrator
    Thanks
    What operating systems are on each PC?

Have you tried sharing your video using WMP?

Joe

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Win 7 SP1 on both systems.
    Running WMP on the laptop - I can see the video library on the desktop and run small sample files. However trying to run the film just produces a WMP "emcountered a problem reading the file."

Administrator
    Thanks
    Can you play other videos stored on the desktop using WMP on the laptop?

Joe

Administrator
    Thanks
    See the section about moving DRM-protected content at Upgrading from XP to Windows 7. Yes, it is about migration but the same concepts apply to moving content to a different PC.

Joe

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Joe, thanks for the comments. Yes I can run other videos using WMP on the laptop directly from files stored only on the desktop. I followed your 'upgrade' link, and I agree it does address the topic. However in the end its advice came down to - go back to where you bought it and they may or may not let you move the authorisation. I have in fact contacted the suppliers (wbdigitalcopy.com) already, but have received no reply at all. Hence my interest in ripping. All I want to do is watch what has been paid for - and I cannot do it!
    Last edited by petermat; 2013-05-30 at 11:58.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    So was that a direct download or did it come from a BluRay disc package that included a digital copy? You probably won't get any satisfaction at all if it's the latter. Wbdigitalcopy.com just took me to WarnerBros main and I didn't see anything about digital downloads but I didn't dig too deeply.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    You may wish to try using a free screen recorder app to capture/record the entire movie while it's playing on the desktop; then playback the captured recording on the laptop. At home we use a couple of free programs that can capture/record whatever is on your screen along with sound. The simplest one is SMRecorder. The other one is CamStudio. The "captured " video has nothing to do with the authorisation code of the original video so it should play back OK. You can try sharing it over your home network or copy it onto a USB flashdrive or burn it onto DVD(s). Good luck.
    Last edited by starvinmarvin; 2013-06-13 at 12:23. Reason: typo

Lounger
    Thanks
    To add to starvinmarvin's list, one might try VLC also. There's very little it can't play, capture, or stream.