Rocky

Profile error msg

Hi,

[img]/w3timages/icons/hairy.gif[/img] Yes, this is about how I feel/look after 3 days of trying to set up separate mailboxes. I tried setting up MS Outlook Profiles (got the error msg below), then tried Outlook Express Identities (boxes not separate enough), and now I'm back to MS Outlook (again, the error msg).

This is the error message: "Unable to open your default mail folders. Outlook could not start because a location to send & receive mail could not be found. To add a location, such as a personal folder file, double click the 'Mail & Fax'."

I did all of that when I set up the 3 profiles; but, the profiles mail folders won't open when I click on the icon for MS Outlook. Instead I keep getting that error message.

Vent: It would seem a common desire for folks using MS Office 97 to want to switch from OE to MS Outlook. Why are there no simple directions of how to set up the latter and of how to transfer all mail folders too? Has anyone written a program to enable a simple transfer of mail folders to the profiles?

Anyway, all I can get to is the default CPU-MS Outlook dialog box.

I use Windows 98 and Microsoft Office 97. Have Pentium III and 10 gigs.

I have 3 addresses with my ISP. I need mail to go to each mailbox. I have a mess now b/c with Identities the business box sometimes accepted mail like I wanted it to, but also business mail was accepted by the mail default box--it just depended on which of the two I had open and if mail was ready to be received. I didn't know how to stop business mail from coming into the mail default box, nor how to redirect it with an Editor Rule. What a mess. I have business mail in 2 boxes now and still no solution. So yes, I look like him-- [img]/w3timages/icons/hairy.gif[/img], with 1 eyeball out of socket...almost.

I will appreciate any help. I want to learn, fix this mess, and then dig into work this weekend to clear out the backlog before Monday that this mess has caused.

I probably need to forward the business mail from the 2 boxes to another CPU just in case something goes awry.

I'm angry that this task is complicated when I feel it should not be. I've been a computer user and medical transcriptionist for 7 years.

I'll stop venting now. Excuse me.

Sincerely,

Rocky

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Profile error msg

did you add the IMEP addin to OL97? I think it's in one of the SR's but haven't used Ol97 in years and can't be sure.

when you set up the profile, you need to add "personal folders" to it, choosing a location for your pst to be stored. it'll be one of the options in the list.

OE can export to Outlook, once you get it opened.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

this is a screen shot of where you add personal folders.

BTW http://www.slipstick.com is a good site for help with outlook.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Rocky

At the time I set up the profiles, I allowed the ?wizard to set up the personal folders for each profile for me; however, in looking at properties of the personal folder for a profile, I get a message telling me it is not configured.

Question: Where do I name and store the *.pst file? The dialog window opens to the Windows directory, and there is a Profiles folder; but, I am not certain that pathway is correct. Does the pathway matter?

Thank you for bringing me this far along.

[img]/w3timages/icons/smile.gif[/img], Rocky

P.S. I'll need to order the SR2 update CD; thanks for giving me the news on that.