Thanks

APC...Buy New Or Replace Batteries ????

I have an APC unit that has bad batteries...

The batteries are pretty expensive so I was thinking that why couldn't I buy one of those really small, about 250 watt, APC units for about $60.00 and use it just to backup my main PC and put all the other stuff, printers, scanner etc. on a surge protector...

I figure, if the power goes out the only thing that can seriously get damaged is the PC itself, all the other stuff will just shut down with no damage to them.

With the smaller unit I would still have time to shut down my PC normally.

Buying the smaller unit would be cheaper then replacing the batteries in my big unit I have.

Does this make sense to only me or do any of you guys think my thinking is flawed???
    "If You Are Reading This In English, Thank A VET"

Thanks
    Thanked 1,457 Times in 1,326 Posts
    Bany,

It all depends. The larger units provide more than just bigger batteries. They also have finer control on things like when they trip/switch for things like over {surge} or under {brown out} current. They may also have higher levels of surge protection and also better insurance if a surge does get through. You really have to read all the specs on the unit and make the call as to what you want to protect and how you use your equipment. Do you leave your computer on all day and leave the house for periods of time that would exhaust the battery, etc.

Personally, I have UPS all over the place since our rural current is kind of flaky, the beeper on my APC Back UPS 1500 goes off several times a day. I have virtually everything except the printers plugged in! Just think how frustrated you would be if you were downloading a large file and the power blipped with 1kb to go and your cable modem/router wasn't on a UPS for one example.

In the end it's a call you have to make based on your device usage and frustration levels if things go wrong. Good Luck. HTH

FYI I have the following:
    Main Desktop Dual Monitors - APC Back UPS 1500
    Backup Desktop, KVM, any any test/PC's I'm fixing - APC Back UPS 1250
    My Laptop when plugged in, Cable modem, Router, 1.5 Tb WD USB drive plugged into router NAS USB port - APC, an Back UPS 350
    Wife's Laptop & Ext. Screen - APC Back UPS 750
    Samsung 42" LCD TV & DVD - APC Back UPS 800

Guess I should buy stock in APC
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

Thanks
    Well RTG, I tend to agree with you.
    I also have a 1500 and because the batteries went bad in it I only use the surge protection part of it now because that doesn't depend on the battery.

Even with the smaller APC I'm sure it would have an auto shutdown in the event I was not available to shut it down.

And, I also have my TV and a few things on the surge side of another APC that needs batteries....

Like you, I seem to have APC units all over but only use the one for my TV and component's for the TV.

I'm gonna check out the manual for one of those APC small units and see what it says...

Thanks..

Thanks
    I'm so glad....to hear (read) that I'm not the only one who should probably buy some APC stock.

I have four UPS's. One 500va, to back up my Cable Modem/Router and my Magic Jack +.
    One 850va, to back up just my PC.
    Then one on my telephone/answering machine & LED clock.
    And a "BIG One" on my TV, Cable TV box, with outlets for a table lamp and small personal fan.

The "BIG One" was given to me when the batteries failed, leaked out on the lady's carpet and she just wanted it OUT!
    I was more than glad to 'remove' it for her.

My solution to buying new batteries was to buy two car batteries and put them in a plastic dish pan and run 12Ga. wires to the UPS. It's kept me going for several years now.

So, my suggestion would be, if you don't want to buy new Gel-Cell batteries for your UPS, try a car battery and see if the UPS will work with that. Some of the newer ones Won't!

The last time I tested my BIG UPS, it ran for 8 hours, without the low battery warning beeper going off.
    Notice, that on my batteries, I have a 30 amp in-line fuse. In case of a short circuit in the UPS, those two batteries could put out over 1000 amps. That's enough to start a serious fire! Or jump start your car.

In fact, having a car battery all charged up and ready to go, is great when your battery in your car has died and you need to get going quickly. That did happen to me one morning. I grabbed one of the batteries off of my BIG UPS, put it in my car in place of the OEM car battery and away I went!

Cheers Mates! (interesting thread)

The Doctor
    Experience is truly the best teacher.

Backup! Backup! Backup! GHOST Rocks!

Thanks
    There is a video on the net that explains how to set up car batteries.

You have to be careful of fumes etc..

I would think the car batteries last longer then the regular APC batteries..

What's your take on their lifespan?