New Lounger
    Thanks

Changing font in drop-down form field choices (Word 2007)

Hi all:
    This is my first thread here. I have spent weeks trying to find an answer for this problem but I'm unable to do what I want. I have a Word 2007 protected form with multiple sections that require the user to add a check mark. I don't want to use the check box field because it adds an "X" instead of a check mark. Instead, I used a drop-down field with an open box and a checked box (using Windings font). The drop-down field works well in the document but, the actual pull down list shows the default System font characters ( [0xA8] and [0xFE]). Is there a way to change how the characters display in the pulled down list? (I attached a screenshot to help me show what I mean.)
    Thanks,
    Ed Roman
    Attached Images Attached Images

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Unlike the combo box and list box that you can place in a userform, the form field dropdown doesn't have any way to set the font of the list. However, building a userform just for a checkbox seems like overkill -- unless you want to replace the form completely with a userform.

As an alternative, consider Greg Maxey's setup for using a macro to modify the display text of a MacroButton field: http://gregmaxey.mvps.org/word_tip_p..._document.html.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to jjfreedman For This Useful Post:

EdwRom (2013-06-01)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks jjfreedman!
    I'm trying to avoid macros, because our company's permissions are all over the place and macros are disabled randomly throughout the different areas PCs. (I am not in IT and have no access to the network security settings.) I have, myself, been using this particular form for a couple of years. I created it to match the look of a company paper form and added default text in text fields to speed up the completion. The characters in the drop-down list don't bother me at all. However, I want to create a different form, using a similar format, to be used by other people. I wanted them to see the correct characters. Maybe I'll just use the checkbox field and learn to live with the X.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Since you are using Word 2007 you can make use of the Check Box Content Control. This can be customised to use any character you like as the checked and unchecked symbols.
    Andrew Lockton, Chrysalis Design, Melbourne Australia

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Andrew Lockton For This Useful Post:

Charles Kenyon (2013-06-02)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks Andrew. I will look more into this. Now that I think about it, I think that I made this form when we were still using Word 2003 at the office. I will have to save the document as a docx and play with the controls.