Star Lounger
    Thanks

How To Migrate Office Settings: 2010 => 2013?

My question pertains to all Office apps, not just Word. I just installed Office 2013 and want to migrate my customized preference settings for all of the apps. I see how to migrate the settings for the Ribbon and Quick Access Toolbar (File => Options => Customize Ribbon => click Import/Export button on lower right side), but I don't see a one-stop solution for all settings and all apps. For example, in Outlook I set the Reading Pane to the bottom and specific folder views for all folders.

Older versions of Office made this easy via a settings transfer utility. Is there no such animal any longer? Is there a MS-sanctioned solution?

Thanks for the help!

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    Is this an upgrade on the same PC or a new install on a new PC?

Joe

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi Joe,

I have installed 2013 on a new VM and want to migrate the settings on my 2010 desktop installation to it.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    Try using the Windows Easy Transfer tool. If that does not work the only products I've been able to find are third party non-free products.

Joe

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I had seen that as well, but it isn't very granular. I can transfer all "Program Settings" or "Windows Settings", but can't select just a subset of these, like just the Office applications' settings. I certainly don't want to transfer all of the old Registry settings to my new computer.

Unfortunately, there doesn't seem to be a native way to do what I could in earlier Office/Windows versions.

Thanks for looking into this.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    After all these years, you would think there was a better way to do this! I just moved someone (using Office 2000) from Windows XP to Windows 7. We got about 80% of her settings transferred via normal.dot, autocorrect entries and custom dictionaries. But she keeps finding settings that reverted to the default.
    Rick Groszkiewicz
    Life is too short to drink bad wine (or bad coffee!)