4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Blurry wallpaper pictures on desktop

Hi,

I am running Windows 8. I downloaded NASA wallpapers for the desktop, but each one is rather blurry. What must I do to get clear desktop wallpaper pictures?

Thank you.

2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Thanks
    Hi Moon1130, check the size of them, they may be too small for your monitor screen and are being overstretched.
    George's PC Specs. / Laptop. Desktop.

Thanks
    I agree..
    I use some of them and you have to d/l the correct one....They give you choices of what size to d/l...
    "If You Are Reading This In English, Thank A VET"

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks Roadrunner and Banyarola. I will play with the picture sizes to see if this makes an improvement.

Thanks
    If you're not sure what size to d/l then right click on your desk top to see your resolution and d/l that size.
    "If You Are Reading This In English, Thank A VET"

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for the tip on how to find my screen resolution. I tried it and found that the resolutions avbailable do not match the resolution choices for the wallpaper. So the wallpaper is still a little blurry in parts.

Thanks
    I have found that anything smaller than about 150 Kb or so starts to blur on my screen resolution of 1600X900. Yours will vary depending on the screen resolution.

If you always download the larger pictures this problem will not rear it's ugly head.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thank you, Medico. I have a question. When you say "....larger pictures", do you mean greater resolution?

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    In general, yes. The image could still just be naturally blurry or been previously upsized from a smaller image and compromised that way, or saved with a lot of jpeg compression, not only making it less clear but also introducing a lot of artifacts into the picture.

Ideally you want wallpapers that were designed for your screen dimensions, usually 16:9 or 16:10 these days, and dimensions or resolution that matches or exceeds the resolution of your screen.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thank you F.U.N downtown. I am using an external monitor with my Envy 17 laptop. It's an "HP 2710m 27" Full HD LCD monitor, 16:9 widescreen LCD monitor with BrightView technology, 1920 X 1080 Resolution." What is the relationship between the 16:9 and the 1920 X 1080 resolution? This is all new to me.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    It's a direct relationship. I think the most common desktop 16:9 resolution is 1920x1080 and the most common 16:10 resolution is 1920x1200. We get these slightly odd resolution numbers to maintain the width to height ratio that has become more or less the standard for widescreen monitors and HDTVs.
    Last edited by F.U.N. downtown; 2013-06-04 at 14:16.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks F.U.N.downtown. Have a Good One....

moon1130

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi Moon,

Make sure you're not downloading thumbnails of the actual pictures you want. I've seen a lot of people do this, thinking it's the actual picture. Select a picture that pretty much fills the screen of your computer or more, right click and select copy, or set as desktop background.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for the tip BigMac56. Have a good one...

Moon