New Lounger
    Thanks

Exclamation MB will not boot inside case??

I have an x58 Flamiing Blade GTI mobo that Will boot fine if it is not inside a case with IO shield. . I have tried 2 different cases, one brand new Thermaltake and an old Antec server tower and the results are the same, no post, no beeps ,nada. Outside lying on the box?? sure, piece of cake, Post codes show up on the LED display and all the right beeps right into the OS.
    Of course this means its grounding out somewhere but where should I be looking? This is kicking my butt here so I would really appreciate any ideas, short of fiber washers on the back of the mobo though I might consider that if nothing else pops up.
    Thanks for reading
    Sj
    Last edited by Medico; 2013-06-02 at 06:51. Reason: edited inappropriate word

Thanks
    It sounds as though there is either a break somewhere on the MB or a short that when flexed by screwing it down to the case causes an open circuit or short circuit. Speaking as someone with years of T/S electronics and circuit boards you might not be able to find the problem unless you are very lucky. It could also be a poor solder joint on an IC that causes the same type of problems when screwed down.

I might start by measuring the voltages at various points around the MB out of the case, then checking these same voltages when installed in the case.

Good luck with this problem. It may be difficult to find the problem.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Medico For This Useful Post:

Essjay (2013-06-02)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks Medico, that is slightly more work than I want to do, might just have to install it in a cardboard box :-(.
    Appreciate the reply
    Sj

PS, why does this forum looks soo wrong on chrome?? Fine on ie.
    Last edited by Essjay; 2013-06-02 at 09:14.

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Essjay View Post
    Of course this means its grounding out somewhere but where should I be looking? This is kicking my butt here so I would really appreciate any ideas, short of fiber washers on the back of the mobo though I might consider that if nothing else pops up.

Sj,

Hello.. I have had many "Circuit Boards" with the same kind of problem ...this is what i would do ....

1. First off you need the metal contact between the "Mobo" and the case ..."Grounding" Possible that one of the contact points are too close and shorting something.

2. Get yourself a good set of "Magno Glasses" OptiVisor have a good "Look See"

3. Place board external ( on the "stand offs" ) if possible and boot-er-up, and start "Stressing" the board with a non conductive probe. .This will isolate the problem to a specific area (Hopefully )

4. Most likely a poor solder joint, or broken track or land ...Hope this is of some help ..I personally love these kind of problems ...but then I'm insane... Regards Fred
    PlainFred

None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free (J. W. Von Goethe)

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Just Plain Fred For This Useful Post:

Essjay (2013-06-02)

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    I actually fixed a similar problem once upon a time with the fiber washers front and back (or top and bottom) so there's a chance...

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Just Plain Fred View Post
    Sj,

Hello.. I have had many "Circuit Boards" with the same kind of problem ...this is what i would do ....

1. First off you need the metal contact between the "Mobo" and the case ..."Grounding" Possible that one of the contact points are too close and shorting something.

2. Get yourself a good set of "Magno Glasses" OptiVisor have a good "Look See"

3. Place board external ( on the "stand offs" ) if possible and boot-er-up, and start "Stressing" the board with a non conductive probe. .This will isolate the problem to a specific area (Hopefully )

4. Most likely a poor solder joint, or broken track or land ...Hope this is of some help ..I personally love these kind of problems ...but then I'm insane... Regards Fred
    JPF, Thanks for that, very helpfull, and not so daunting, I can do that. I use Optivisors for my job so have several pairs :-). You have been doing this longer so I understand the insane, I have a few yrs to go before I reach that stage ;-)

Update for this morning, I pulled the board out of the case, hooked it all back up and attempted boot. Nada.
    The only thing I had not swapped out and I mean only was the PSU. It is a 4 yr old OCZ600sxs. I put in a new corsair 850 and it booted. Twice.
    testing it with Prime95 now and it looks good. OUt of the case ;-) So far.
    I will let this run for a bit and then put it back in the case and see what happens, if the case is a problem then back to " stressing the board with a non - conductive probe" as you suggested Fred .Thank You

My Wife is reading this and just said to me " You know, the first thing you muttered at that computer coming back to you was : it sounds like a PSU issue "
    I hate it when she is right ;-)

REminding me once again that KISS is still what to look for when trouble shooting a computer, not the board, not the cpu, simple stuff. Though I am not ruling out a short just yet, it is a second hand board that someone else pulled and installed.
    I will update this later today with my findings. Thank You to all who posted to help
    Sj

Thanks
    PS problems can look like shorts or opens. If you are not supplying the voltage within a pretty tight tolerance to the ICs, they just do not perform properly. I'm a little surprised that just installing in a case initially caused a problem. I suppose a slight increase in temp. could have done it. Flaky PSs just cause many strange problems. Hopefully that will solve the problem for good.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Thanks
    I have had that happen and have found I had a stand off in the wrong place and it was shorting the MB..
    "If You Are Reading This In English, Thank A VET"

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Getting new PSU from the egg, will be in tomorrow then I can install it all and close this out.
    I think.

Thanks
    Good luck. Hope that works out for you. Please post back to confirm if it does. Very interesting case. You don't normally see these torque type failures on a PS, but anything is possible.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Yes very interesting, I always thought the PSU worked or it didnt. New Corsair 80 plus psu, board in case and running like a champ .
    Thank You to all the replied with advice. Fred, this one drove me crazy enough, next time I'll fly there, it's faster.
    2 things learned here
    1) KISS always applies, dont go straight to replacing the board ;-)
    2) A good PSU is a MUST HAVE , do not ever skimp on that component! ( yeah I did a bit there first one)
    Sj

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Only one question I have is when the mobo was out of the case, were you still powering it with the same PS as when installed?