Star Lounger
    Thanks

Question System Repair Disk Failure (0x80070057)

When I try to create a system repair disk, I get a message that it fails and "the parameter is incorrect" with the error code 0x80070057. This is a new Windows 8/64 system that was shipped with the basic Win8/64 OS. I had a install code for Win 8/64 Pro, and applied that and authorized the system with MS - and I think that is the issue here. This system was able to create system repair disks before I upgraded. Does anyone have a suggestion of how to deal with this? I have done some searches on the internet and find nothing useful - this problem has existed in Windows 7 and most of the posts discuss that situation. I am running with my user account which has Administrator privileges so I don't think this is a rights issue, but I could be wrong. Some of the comments on this issue recommend running using the "built in" Administrator account, but the instructions for this are for Win7 and don't seem to exist in Win8. Some of the internet postings are from MS support and they seem clueless too.

I use Macs for most of my work, and was just starting to get comfortable with Win8 - it does a lot of stuff better than OSX - but then I run into one of these inscrutable errors.

Suggestions welcome.

David

2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I figured out how to create a local administrator account and tried to create the system repair disk under that account - same result. This does not appear to be related to privileges.

David

Thanks
    try running sfc /scannow from an elevated command prompt.

If you have a copy of the install media, see if these instructions work. They are for Windows 7 but might work for 8 as well:
    . Boot the system by inserting Windows 7 installation disc.
    ii. When it gets to the main setup window, click on Repair from the lower left corner.
    iii. Select Command Prompt from the main Repair menu.
    iv. At the command prompt type in recdisc, then ENTER.
    v. You'll get the popup to choose which drive letter to create the Recovery disc to.
    vi. Have a clean DVD in the DVD drive and select start.
    This should get your System repair disc created.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I tried the sfc trick and it didn't work. I have a Win8 install disk on order and should get it soon and will try that. I suspect that I need to do a "repair" - but have to have the install disk to do it.

David

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I finally got the Win8 install disk from MS, and tried this. I get the same error message. I suppose I could "refresh" the system, but that would mean that I would loose all my installed applications. Apparently there is a way around this - creating a custom recovery image with the installed apps included - but that is a complicated process. I may try it. I can get around this by just imaging my whole C: drive (with, for example, DriveClone9) and then recovering with that image - but that is a big deal too. I'd prefer to use the Windows tools if I can, but if I don't have a Windows recovery disk, that is a big problem.....

Any other suggestions from anyone? Some Google searches indicates that this is not a rare situation, but I haven't seen a way to fix it for Windows 8 (there are lots of notes about the same error in Window 7).

David

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by djredfearn View Post
    I finally got the Win8 install disk from MS, ------------- but if I don't have a Windows recovery disk, that is a big problem.....
    The Windows 8 install disk is a repair disk (only better). Burn a copy of that DVD you received from MS, and put the MS DVD in a safe place. Boot the copy of the Windows 8 DVD, but don't click Install. Choose Repair my computer.
    Create a new drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"Let them that don't want it have memories of not gettin' any." "Gratitude is riches and complaint is poverty and the worst I ever had was wonderful." Brother Dave Gardner "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else." Sir Thomas Robert Deware. "The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Do you understand?" Captain Jack Sparrow.
    Unleash Windows

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I did that. You have to get to the second screen to see the Repair options. I ran repair and it did not find any problems. It did not fix the error. (Interestingly, what MS actually sends you are two disks - one 32-bit and one 64-bit. They are not identified as base, Pro, or otherwise. I used the 64-bit disk for this work - as that is what is installed.)

What I think I am interested in is the "Refresh" option. However, that option says very clearly that it will remove the applications I have installed and not re-install them (it will list the applications it has removed after the repair.) That is not what I want.

But, help me here. If the install disk can act like a repair disk, and I have saved a system image, will the install disk use _that_ system image for the refresh (and not the software on the Install disk)? More to the point, if I use the recimage program to create a recovery image (including all the programs I have installed), will the Install disk be able to use that image to do the refresh? That would be what I want - I have too much installed to want to go back and re-install everything again.

David

Further note. I have a Samsung SSD840 as my C: drive. Now I suspect it is doing something to cause this problem. There is a new version of the Samsung Magician software available - and I installed it. This software lets you configure the system to optimize performance and reliability (as well as update firmware and track performance). When you configure the system for "maximum reliability" - as I do - it shuts down the backup service and disables it. I have to go back into services and turn it back on to even see the Win7 control panel options for backups. I wonder if some other service has been turned off to cause this problem.
    Last edited by djredfearn; 2013-06-15 at 14:01.

Thanks
    If the install disk can act like a repair disk, and I have saved a system image, will the install disk use _that_ system image for the refresh (and not the software on the Install disk)? More to the point, if I use the recimage program to create a recovery image (including all the programs I have installed), will the Install disk be able to use that image to do the refresh? That would be what I want - I have too much installed to want to go back and re-install everything again.
    That is not the way the Refresh process works. You can indeed use the install disk to get to the repair options, and from there you can choose to restore a system image that you have previously saved. You have the option of selecting which image file, I believe (although I have never used the Windows imaging utility, it is my understanding that it works as I've described).

But that is a Restore, not a Refresh. A Refresh is similar to an in-place upgrade, or repair/reinstall, but more limited than in previous versions of Windows. It uses the Windows installation files on the DVD, and it does not leave your installed applications intact, only providing a list, as you noted.

Further note. I have a Samsung SSD840 as my C: drive. Now I suspect it is doing something to cause this problem. There is a new version of the Samsung Magician software available - and I installed it. This software lets you configure the system to optimize performance and reliability (as well as update firmware and track performance). When you configure the system for "maximum reliability" - as I do - it shuts down the backup service and disables it. I have to go back into services and turn it back on to even see the Win7 control panel options for backups. I wonder if some other service has been turned off to cause this problem.
    I have no experience or information on the Samsung Magician software. Perhaps someone who is familiar with it will chime in.
    Create a new drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"Let them that don't want it have memories of not gettin' any." "Gratitude is riches and complaint is poverty and the worst I ever had was wonderful." Brother Dave Gardner "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else." Sir Thomas Robert Deware. "The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Do you understand?" Captain Jack Sparrow.
    Unleash Windows

Thanks
    There appears to be some conflict with many notebooks and or laptops from OEM's who have their own diagnostic and recovery features available.
    It would make sense to either use just one or the other, NOT both, as they may conflict with one another.

It's highly preferable to come up with ones OWN backup and recovery options and rely on neither MS or an OEM's recovery options.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Windows 8.1, 64 bit
    Motherboard: DX58SO2*Chipset: X58 Express/Intel ICH10*BIOS: SOX5820J.86A.0888.2012.0129.2203*Processor: Intel Core i7 CPU X 990
    GPU: Nvidia GTX 580*Memory: Corsair 12 GB, 4x3@1600*PSU: Corsair HX1000*Hard drives: REVO X2 160GB*OCZ VERT X3 120GB*5 mechanical storage drives (12 TB) total.