3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Question Deleting an item entry in Programs and Features

I am using a Dell Inspiron laptop and operating on Windows Home Premium SP1 with the latest updates, and I use IE9. My problem is, I've long ago uninstalled in the usual manner the following software, but the entries for the following software remain listed in Programs and Features and I want to remove them:

Webshots Desktop
    Webshots Toolbar for Firefox
    Webshots Toolbar for IE

Note: Firefox is not installed, but it likewise is not listed as installed either, so I have no explanation for the entry for the FF Toolbar in the first place. As for the toolbar for IE, I do use IE9, but the add-on for this toolbar has long been disabled and now uninstalled, yet all three of the above entries remain in "Programs and Features."

"Webshots Desktop" no longer exists as a current software, it has been sold to someone else and renamed, and now back in the hands of the creator and original owner (long story). I now want to install what is now available to replace it, but I am told to "make sure Webshots and all fragments are fully installed before installing the new software." So, I am trying to avoid the possibility of any potential conflict before installing the new software.

All three of these are uninstalled, but is there any way of deleting just the entries themselves since the normal uninstalling process didn't seem to do it? They don't seem to be causing any issues there, so they may or may not be a problem, but I am simply trying to FULLY remove the software and any remnants before installing the replacement software. I am obviously not an expert at this, and thank you for any help or suggestions.

David E. Cann

Thanks
    What happens if you highlight one of those entries and select Uninstall?
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I get the normal pop-up asking "Do you really want to remove this?" (or wording to that effect), then when I click on "yes" the pop-up goes away as it typically does, and absolutely nothing else happens and the line item remains.
    Quote Originally Posted by bbearren View Post
    What happens if you highlight one of those entries and select Uninstall?

David E. Cann

Thanks
    Thanked 1,457 Times in 1,326 Posts
    David,

You can use CCleaner free to remove the entries.
    Select an entry in the screen below then select the Delete Entry button. HTH
    ccleaner.JPG
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

5. The Following User Says Thank You to RetiredGeek For This Useful Post:

decann (2013-06-05)

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I was just looking at that online, and wondering if it might work. I am always a little hesitant trying something like that for fear of making a bad choice or deleting something I shouldn't. Please keep in mind that I am not comfortable doing stuff like that in the first place, but I will take a look at it. Thanks.
    Quote Originally Posted by RetiredGeek View Post
    David,

ccleaner.JPG

David E. Cann

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    My apologies for the delayed reply, but I kinda got sidetracked for a couple of days by my "to do list" and changing priorities. I have downloaced and installed CCleaner in the laptop, and following a brief period of learning how to use it had no trouble removing the three entries that did not want to go away before. FWIW, I've since paid for the Pro version of it so that is now installed in the desktop that is my primary use computer. I don't have any problem paying a reasonable amount for a software app that works and has some useful features, so now I will give it a good "test drive" for awhile and see if this old (70) geezer can learn how to use it without embarrassing himself. :-)

Thank you for the suggestion. I do appreciate it.
    Quote Originally Posted by RetiredGeek View Post
    David,

ccleaner.JPG

David E. Cann

Thanks
    Thanked 1,457 Times in 1,326 Posts
    David,

Glad you got it sorted.
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs