Thanks

IE can't connect

My son just did an update to Adobe Reader, and now Internet Explorer cannot connect? At first I thought maybe something with the wireless internet connection, but that was working ok. I uninstalled the entire Adobe Reader, but no joy. I brought up C-Cleaner to run it. When I did, it connected to their web site with no problems. I was at that point able to download and install the Firefox browser that he can at least use for now.
    One thing I noticed, was that on his wireless connection it shows the SSID and then the #2 after it. There is no #2? I deleted and redid that connection but it still shows the same. Like I said though I was and am able to connect to the internet through all of his programs, and through firefox. I haven't even tried SkyDrive yet. oops! nor his school homework site. I imagine that site should be ok, but Im not sure what SkyDrive will show.

Ideas about I.E. 10 anyone? Can I uninstall and reinstall?

Thanks

John
    Thanks John
    Teamwork is essential; it gives the enemy other people to shoot at. (Murphy's War Laws #39)

2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,142 Times in 1,052 Posts
    You can uninstall and reinstall, yes.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks
    You can check the proxy settings in IE or Control Panel. Make sure they are set to "Automatically detect".

cheers, Paul

Thanks
    Hi John. have you tried this:-

RR.jpg
    Click image to enlarge it.
    George's PC Specs. / Laptop. Desktop.

Thanks
    John,

I might consider a different PDF Reader. There are several excellent readers available with not nearly the security risks of Adobe and far less resource hogging.

I use PDF-Xchange Viewer. Others have written about Foxit Reader and Nitro PDF Reader
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Thanks
    Thanks guys I will give these all a shot, before I uninstall and then reinstall.

John
    Thanks John
    Teamwork is essential; it gives the enemy other people to shoot at. (Murphy's War Laws #39)

Thanks
    John:

I have seen at least one case where IE somehow gets hosed (or hijacked), and you then have problems browsing to certain web sites. (You can get to some, but not others.)

Other browsers work, just not IE.

I've never seen a solution; my solution was to wipe the drive and start over, as the user didn't have anything that he needed on the drive, and just in case there was malware on the drive that I couldn't remove or detect.

Everything worked fine after that. Months later, everything is still working fine.

The user had no antivirus software installed; I installed MSE. That is one reason I suspect malware.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    John,

You said that you could connect to the CCleaner web site, and you downloaded Firefox. If IE couldn't connect, how did you do that? Also, what version of Windows is on the computer?

Jim

Thanks
    To be honest, I'm not sure WTH was going on. Ccleaner connected, so I went ahead and downloaded Firefox so I could get on line. I then ran the updated version of Ccleaner. All is well now however and FF has been removed.
    Thanks John