Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

Old Document With New Headings Styles

I have a document of over 300 pages with nine heading styles. I am really having problems working with these headings, and would like to start over. Is there a way to delete all of the old heading styles and utilize new ones that I define?
    Thanks in advance.

Thanks
    Yes. Change the style definition. You can also create your heading styles in a blank document and port those styles to your existing document. Note, you probably want to be using the built-in heading styles.

Understanding Styles
    Charles Kyle Kenyon
    Madison, Wisconsin

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    For whatever reason, it is not working for me. For example, whenever I modify, say Heading 1, to Times New Roman old, 12 pt., 1/4 inch indent with a 1/2 inch hanging first line, when I try and use it, it only results in a 1/4 inch hanging first line. Same with all other Headings.

Thanks
    I suspect your styles are tied to numbering lists which would have their own formatting.

I am assuming that the font changes are sticking.

Try starting with a fresh document. If that does not work, start Word in safe mode to create the document.
    You can copy styles from your document to the old document. If you get the style definitions you want to work in a new document, I can walk you through copying them to an existing document.
    Charles Kyle Kenyon
    Madison, Wisconsin

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    You can readily change style names by using Find and Replace or with the Styles pane.

With F&R, leave the Find what and Replace with boxes empty, but use the Format > Styles pulldown to specify the "from" and "to" style names.

With the Styles pane (click the tiny button at lower right of Styles group on the Home ribbon), hover over the name of the style you want to change and right-click to choose "Select all XX Instance(s)". With all instances selected, you can then just click the name of the style you'd like to apply.

I agree with Charles about using the built-in style names, but if you already are using them (i.e. Heading 1, Heading 2, etc.) you may need to modify the style definitions first. The Styles pane lets you get at that quite readily too: just choose "Modify..." from the pulldown for a given style to bring up the Modify Style dialog.