Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Change all fields to text in Word 2010?

I have several fields in a Word 2010 document. Whenever I go to print it, the fields ask me to update [?] The info, showing me the field form, box.

I can deal with why that is happening later, because I need the pages right away. I know I can go to each field and change it to text using Ctrl-F9, but that is only one field at a time.

Is there a way to change all the fields to text at once?

Regards,
    Chuck Billow
    -------------------------------------------------
    "Good judgment comes from experience, and experience - well, that comes from poor judgment."

~ A(lan) A(lexander) Milne (1882-1956)- "House at Pooh Corner"

2. Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Thanks
    Ctrl-F9 creates a new field.

Try Ctrl-A, Ctrl-6.

What is the purpose of these fields? Are they ASK fields?

Look into MacroButton fields if they are simply placeholders or prompts.
    Charles Kyle Kenyon
    Madison, Wisconsin

Thanks
    Charles, until 10 seconds ago I didn't know what an ASK field is/was. Now I know...sort of.

No, these aren't ASK fields. Probably could be though. They are field in a template for a class report that is repeatedly used: Document name, date, class name, header...

The one field that would make use of ASK is the header, since it would repeat on all pages. They aren't really just placeholder, as they do get input each time.

?

Chuck
    "Good judgment comes from experience, and experience - well, that comes from poor judgment."

Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi
    You need to Lock (Print) then Unlock the fields to edit.

To lock a field so that field results are not updated, click the field, and then press CTRL+F11. OR Select All CTRL+A then CTRL+F11.
    To unlock a field so that field results can be updated, click the field, and then press CTRL+SHIFT+F11 OR Select All CTRL+A then CTRL+SHIFT+F11

Kind regards
    Janine

Super Moderator
    Canberra, Australian Capital Territory, Australia
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jec1 View Post
    You need to Lock (Print) then Unlock the fields to edit.
    Or you could just turn off Word's "update fields before printing option" ...
    Cheers,

Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]

Thanks
    Paul, the "update fields before printing option" is already off, and it still does the same thing.

Chuck

Thanks
    Janine, I just tried that and it didn't seem to change anything. Ah well, thanks anywho...

Chuck

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    To convert all field codes to text, select everything (Ctrl-A) and press Ctrl-Shift-F9.

You might want to do this only after you've saved since there is no going back once the field codes have been resolved.

Thanks
    Eric, hi. I'm assuming if I convert all the fields, but do NOT save, then when I revisit the fields will still be active -- or will they, once changed, stay that way even if they are NOT saved?

Chuck

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by CWBillow View Post
    Charles, until 10 seconds ago I didn't know what an ASK field is/was. Now I know...sort of.

No, these aren't ASK fields. Probably could be though. They are field in a template for a class report that is repeatedly used: Document name, date, class name, header...

The one field that would make use of ASK is the header, since it would repeat on all pages. They aren't really just placeholder, as they do get input each time.

?

Chuck
    I'm pretty sure you are using the wrong tool to do what you want. Post a sample document that is giving you problems and I'll take a look at it. Scrub out any proprietary or confidential data.

I almost never need to be adding / changing things in a header in document based on a well-constructed template. Instead, I use a Style Ref Field that captures text in the body of the document.
    Last edited by Charles Kenyon; 2013-06-05 at 16:09.
    Charles Kyle Kenyon
    Madison, Wisconsin

Thanks
    Charles, here's what I have been using. It's simple and is meant primarily to "homogenize" all reports turned in. I changed the extension from dotx to txt in order to upload it.

What I did seems to work, except for the field "questions" at printing.

Regards,
    Chuck
    Attached Files Attached Files

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by CWBillow View Post
    Eric, hi. I'm assuming if I convert all the fields, but do NOT save, then when I revisit the fields will still be active -- or will they, once changed, stay that way even if they are NOT saved?

Chuck
    This is correct. BTW Ctrl-Shift-F9 and Ctrl-6 do the same thing - unlink the fields.
    Charles Kyle Kenyon
    Madison, Wisconsin

Thanks
    OK, you are using FILL-IN Fields. The ones that cause problems are in the Headers. That is because headers/footers update their fields at printing regardless of other settings. Also Ctrl-A (Select All) will not include them, nor would you want it to do so. Page numbers are also fields.

You may want to look at my tutorial on ASK and FILL-IN fields. These fields are old technology predating Word 97. They still work.

Look into the StyleRef field. It is almost certainly what you want to be using and it is designed to be updated at printing when in a header/footer without prompts. Actually, it is updated virtually instantly.

Also, look into creating a UserForm to catch your data and put it into your document. This is far more elegant and less irksome than a series of FILL-IN fields.
    Last edited by Charles Kenyon; 2013-06-05 at 16:53.
    Charles Kyle Kenyon
    Madison, Wisconsin

Thanks
    Charles, I'll take a look at the info you've provided. If I can grok it, I'll take a shot at a re-design.

Thanks,
    Chuck

Lounger
    Thanks
    Are sure these are Fields - if you can't lock them you certainly couldn't unlink them either - are they fields or Content Controls? What version of Word do you use?
    I have a print macro that locks the fields and unlocks when done if they are Fields - are you able to put a macro in a module and run it on the open document?
    Perhaps you should upload a short sample of the document - just a couple of pages with fields if you want to resolve your problem. We've all said the same thing.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast