New Lounger
    Thanks

How to set up a Word 2010 document so editing one field changes another?

I am trying to set up a template where the value someone selects from a drop down field (e.g. a number 1-10) automatically updates what shows up in another field (e.g. "mild", "moderate", "severe"). Essentially, I am trying to get it to work like "if x=1,2,, 3, or 4 then y= mild" "if x=5, 6, 7, or 8, then y=moderate" if x= 9 or 10, then y=severe".

My hope is to have somone input the score and the category output will show automatically in another part of the text. Note that this is not a mail merge document

I'm new to the Developer tab/fields so spelling it out as basic as you can is helpful!

NOTE: i posted this on Yahoo answers and someone mentioned "VBA"...no idea what this is! so I guess if that is involved...can you help?

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Okay so I gave up on word and switched to excel. Solved this issue but ran into another one. Here is the link to my excel post
    http://windowssecrets.com/forums/sho...-MODE-function

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    If you want to re-explore doing this in Word, I have attached a sample doc which demonstrates how to do it.

I used two content controls and added a macro in the ThisDocument module to trigger the macro when the user leaves the first content control.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Andrew Lockton, Chrysalis Design, Melbourne Australia

Thanks
    You could use an IF field for this. Your source field needs to be identified in some way by a bookmark.
    Charles Kyle Kenyon
    Madison, Wisconsin

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    As Charles says, an If field would allow you to do this without using a macro but you will then need to update the fields to see the result update.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I have a similar situation where I have a control (Dev1 for simplicity) that can be set to one of some 6 or 7 values. Yet, once a value is selected, the document must then display a list of values (Paths 1-n), each on its own line, that are related to the value of Dev1. I looked at IF but that didn't seem to work for me.

Any help here would be greatly appreciated, JGHowland

New Lounger
    Thanks
    For what its worth, I ended up giving up on word and using excel. For my particular needs it's worked out well- even though I've had some problems along the way.

Here is my excel post. Not sure if it will help but its worth a shot! Maybe some of the if/then stuff will translate to word
    http://windowssecrets.com/forums/sho...002#post908002

8. The Following User Says Thank You to kissingfrogs2003 For This Useful Post:

JGHowland (2013-06-13)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks KF, I really need to try and keep this in Word, if at all possible. I will look through the information on your thread - there's a bunch of it to go through.

Cheers...

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    JG
    If you need content to appear depending on the number of items selected in a dropdown then you will need a macro. I have done this sort of thing in the past by putting all the content into the base document and then letting the macro set content as 'hidden' depending on the selection in the dropdown. This doesn't actually remove the content but hides it from view (assuming your macro also sets the user's view/print hidden text options)