New Lounger
    Thanks

Extract data from Word to Excel

I have hundreds of '03 Word docs, and Wordperfect docs, that has data on them I need copied to an Excel spreadsheet. Is there a simple(ish) solution for this? Each Word doc and Wordperfect doc was set up initially as a custom template, where names, address, etc, were added as need arose. I would really like some way to point to the folder where the docs are, and have the data all imported at once to an Excel file. Any thoughts?

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    You can open the Word docs and extract the data using VBS or VBA, but this is not trivial, especially if the data is not all exactly the same format. The Word Perfect files may be even more difficult unless Word will open then easily and consistently.
    I don't have any suggestions on where to start except to ask if the data is consistent or has the data you want controlled by bookmarks or other specific formatting?

cheers, Paul

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Armour Eckrich AEM IL.inv.docThanks for the speedy response Paul! I attached a sample of the document that I am trying to tap into. I am not tech savvy, but have seen a few 'scripts' on this site that may work for me. In any event, I hope this answers your question, and leads to a simple solution for my problem. Again, I really appreciate your help.
    Jeff

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    The document doesn't have any particular features that allow you to locate the specific data, but a plain text search (open the document in a text editor like Notepad++) does show some consistency, e.g. the "to" details immediately follow the characters "To:". You may be able to do a simple search and copy if the format of all the invoices is the same, but it's definitely not simple.

cheers, Paul