5 Star Lounger
    Patterson Lakes, Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
    Thanks

Format won't work (Access 2000)

Friends are trying to install an Access 2000 Db I designed, on a Win98 computer. Problem is, they are clear across the other side of Australia and I am dealing with them via phone. The computer they are using used to be here, and the same program worked just fine. They had a HD fail & installed a new one. Now the Db creates an error
    Regards,
    Peter

Thanks

Re: Format won't work (Access 2000)

Hi Peter,
    The first thing I would check is whether there are any missing references on that machine. Get them to open the VBEditor (Alt+f11), select Tools-References and see if any that are checked have 'MISSING:' at the start of them. If so, get them to uncheck that reference (after making a note of what it was) and try compiling the database. If it goes OK, then that reference probably wasn't needed anyway. If it doesn't compile, they'll need to use the browse button to try and locate the relevant file.
    Hope that helps.
    Regards,
    Rory

Microsoft MVP - Excel

5 Star Lounger
    Patterson Lakes, Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
    Thanks

I should have mentioned that we did that. All references were OK.
    Regards,
    Peter

Super Moderator
    Thanks

How about this possibility - you have a reference checked that you don't need. ADO can be famous for doing weird things if it's installed and you have some code using DAO. Otherwise, is it possible the DB they are trying to use is corrupt? Did you send it to them, or did they restore it from a backup? You might also have them do a decompile and then recompile. Hope some of these suggestions/questions get the debugging juices flowing again.
    Wendell