3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Question Display of Favorites in IE9

The following pertains to IE9 running on 64-bit Windows 7 Home Premium SP1.

Several IE versions ago, when I clicked on my "Favorites" label in order to select one of them, my ever-lengthening list of Favorites would drop down to the bottom of my monitor, then continue listing them to the right so they would all be visible in that manner. I have a nice wide monitor, so there is easily space for multiple columns there so I could then quickly select a Favorite down at the end of the alphabet (like Windows Secrets Lounge) without scrolling all the way to the bottom. Somewhere since I last recall that happening multiple versions ago, I lost that feature and now must scroll through them manually.

I will confess to getting old these days and my memory simply is not what it used to be, but don't I remember some optional setting in IE that would allow for these long lists of favorites to break at the bottom of the monitor then continue in a new column of Favorites to the right? I know I remember seeing that at one time, but I have searched and searched for such an optional setting and cannot find it. Can anyone of you resident experts out there either confirm that such a feature is no longer available or else tell this old geezer (70) where it is and how to select it please? If you tell me I will be embarrassed at all the time I spent looking for the setting, but I will also be glad that you have ended my frustration. :-) Thanks in advance.

David E. Cann

2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I guess I am now replying to my own query here, but after a couple of hundred views of the query without a reply I am not sure what to think. Simply put, I would like when I click on my Favorites list to have them display straight down, then when it reaches the bottom of the monitor to continue a second column and third if needed as it did a few IE versions ago. Presently, it displays a single column, with most of them at the bottom requiring me to scroll down to find them.

If my aging gray matter is correct (it sometimes is not any more), there used to be a toggle or option in some obscure location for the Favorites list to continue on a second or third column if it reaches the bottom of the monitor, but I have searched for such an option multiple times without any success. Is there anyone of the resident experts out there who can tell me how to either select such an option, or else confirm that there is no such a thing in IE9 please? For extra credit, if the option is unavailable now I am sure curious to know what IE version removed it just to satisfy my curiousity because I really seem to recall it back there at some point somewhere. Thanks.
    Last edited by decann; 2013-06-09 at 09:50.

David E. Cann

Thanks
    Hi David, here's a sample of how my favourites are sorted.

RR.jpg
    Click image to enlarge it.
    George's PC Specs. / Laptop. Desktop.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Okay, I thank you but that doesn't answer my question. My Favorites list in a single column and disappear after reaching the bottom of the monitor until I scroll down. Do you know how to select an option to make them appear in similar fashion in IE9, or can you confirm that it can no longer be done? Thanks.
    Quote Originally Posted by Roderunner View Post
    Hi David, here's a sample of how my favourites are sorted.

RR.jpg
    Click image to enlarge it.

David E. Cann

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    I had a look too but my only answer was going to be along the lines of Roderunner, organize the favorites into appropriate folders so they don't extend to the bottom. Seems like I remember something like that once upon the time but you might as well ask me for the recipe for Coke now.

Thanks
    Hi David, sorry I can't be of more help as I only use Firefox with the same organisation of my favourites.
    George's PC Specs. / Laptop. Desktop.