New Lounger
    Thanks

file type assistant

I have a little popup that says "File Type Assistant update" now available for update to Version 2013.4.8. Is this a legitimate and useful program? I read that it's considered Spyware.

2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    It can be bundled with other software, and doesn't seem particularly useful, so you could uninstall it: What is the Trusted Software File Type Assistant?

Bruce

4. The Following User Says Thank You to BruceR For This Useful Post:

Dawg (2013-06-05)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for the quick response. I going to see if there are any other opinions and if not I'll take your advice and uninstall.

Dawg

New Lounger
    Thanks
    +1 uninstall it.

1. Windows has a trustworthy popup built in with almost identical functionality to the one shown at Bruce's link.
    2. The software offers a function you can DIY by googling any unknown file type (ex: ".FILE"). Just look for trustworthy results.
    3. Learning to use built in features of Windows and sharpening your web searching skills beats 3rd party clutter in most cases.
    Your Windows installation be easier to maintain and less prone to exploitation.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to OlTimer For This Useful Post:

Dawg (2013-06-07)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for the reply(s).
    I just uninstalled it.
    I particularly like reducing 3rd party clutter. I should do more of that!

Dawg

Quote Originally Posted by OlTimer View Post
    +1 uninstall it.

1. Windows has a trustworthy popup built in with almost identical functionality to the one shown at Bruce's link.
    2. The software offers a function you can DIY by googling any unknown file type (ex: ".FILE"). Just look for trustworthy results.
    3. Learning to use built in features of Windows and sharpening your web searching skills beats 3rd party clutter in most cases.
    Your Windows installation be easier to maintain and less prone to exploitation.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi, i'm new here. Cool that you have updated it, otherwise nasty updates.