5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Microsoft adds Windows 8 support to EMET

ON SECURITY

Microsoft adds Windows 8 support to EMET

By Susan Bradley

A sophisticated anti-malware tool, Microsoft's Enhanced Mitigation Experience Toolkit (EMET) is especially adept at protecting Internet Explorer from zero-day threats.

Currently in beta, the final version of EMET 4.0 is due out any day now. Here's what's new.

The full text of this column is posted at http://windowssecrets.com/on-securit...pport-to-emet/ (opens in a new window/tab).

Columnists typically cannot reply to comments here, but do incorporate the best tips into future columns.
    Last edited by Kathleen Atkins; 2013-06-05 at 20:13.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Hello Susan,

I own and manage a small network for our business and rely on your wonderful input regarding patch updates as I use Shavlik to handle Windows Updates. There are three that I haven't seen mention of in quite a while of which one or two of which you said to hold off on. These are the KB numbers: 2585542, 2656356, 2737083. Could you tell me whether these are ok or if we should continue to hold off?

Thanks ever so much,

/* Phil */

Thanks

Kb 2670838

My small office discovered this week that KB 2670838 was the culprit that stopped our Olympus dictation program. Several weeks ago the program would no longer open. Google searches and serendipity pointed me to an MS technet comment that says if KB 2670838 is installed, the Olympus program will no longer work. We uninstalled KB 2670838 and Olympus works again.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I installed EMET (Windows 7 64 bit Professional with 12 GB RAM) and ran into weird problems: for example, on some sites, when selecting a line on a form in IE 10, a line several locations above the one I clicked was selected; on other forms it was simply impossible to make any selections at all. This type of misbehavior seemed to be limited to IE: Chrome seemed to function okay.

I tried to turn all EMET functions off for IE, but this made no difference. So I uninstalled EMET, and that also made NO difference. Of course, I made an image backup before installing EMET: restoring to this image restored sanity.

I would really like to use EMET, but I cannot tolerate this behavior. Is this the best Microsoft can do?