5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Outlook: Strain out spam and safeguard senders

TOP STORY

Outlook: Strain out spam and safeguard senders

By Katherine Murray

Spam is such a looming presence in the world's email, you'd be hard-pressed to find a mail application that doesn't include some sort of spam management.

Here are the tools and techniques available to Microsoft Outlook users for dealing with the onslaught.

The full text of this column is posted at http://windowssecrets.com/top-story/...guard-senders/ (paid content, opens in a new window/tab).

Columnists typically cannot reply to comments here, but do incorporate the best tips into future columns.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I use Mailwasher Pro to filter all mail before opening Outlook, think that is safest way to go, also Kaspersky has anti-spam filters installed in Outlook program (2007 version). MailWasher allows you to preview all incoming mail accept yahoo, you can preview forst 20 lines of any email, tells you if the mail has attachments and its browser is secure, its supposed to contain any script, with mailwasher you can preview then delete off the server unopened, I've mailwasher checking iinet server as well as hotmail and gmail.
    When i purchased I was offered life time free support and upgrades but then the program was sold to an American company who have set up a gravy chain $$$.
    FileHippo.com offers an older free version of the program. (at own risk)

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Really nice article! I've used Outlook forever and still found this refresher very informative. Thanks! Off to add some Safe Domains!
    finalword

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Interesting - for Outlook users. I suggest that only 40% of WS readers use Outlook, and there are many other "better than" Outlook e-mail clients. For example, every major internet provider has their own e-mail client, e.g., Verizon, Comcast, as well as Google, Yahoo.etc, all of which have much better security options than Outlook.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I am constantly "Adding Domain to Safe Senders List" which really helps me avoid losing good e-mails but I have a problem with "On Behalf of" e-mails. They have "From:" addresses like this:

tracydecker1@gmail.com on behalf of Tracy Decker [tracy@lilyanncabinets.com]
    noreply+feedproxy@google.com on behalf of Daily Writing Tips [info@dailywritingtips.com]

If I add these addresses or their domains to my "Safe Senders List", they never work. There are two separate e-mail addresses in the "on behalf of" address and Outlook only puts one of them in the list and that one never seems to work.

There is also a troublesome address form that I get a lot when I setup to receive a site's "newsletter". They have a form like this:

Woot [newsletter=woot.com@mail273.us2.mcsv.net]

The Domain portion of the address changes with every e-mail they send out, in a round-robin order, because the company that does the actual sending is a service that has hundreds of e-mail servers in different parts of the world. So adding the address or the domain isn't helpful because I'll never receive another e-mail with the same combination of server name and data center.

So, is this a shortcoming of Outlook, because they don't implement the SMTP Protocol RFC's correctly, or is there a secret way to handle these types of addresses.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Olgimp View Post
    For example, every major internet provider has their own e-mail client, e.g., Verizon, Comcast, as well as Google, Yahoo.etc, all of which have much better security options than Outlook.
    You're talking about webmail here, right?

How are their security options much better than Outlook?

Bruce

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by sfeldner View Post
    I have a problem with "On Behalf of" e-mails. They have "From:" addresses like this:

tracydecker1@gmail.com on behalf of Tracy Decker [tracy@lilyanncabinets.com]
    noreply+feedproxy@google.com on behalf of Daily Writing Tips [info@dailywritingtips.com]

If I add these addresses or their domains to my "Safe Senders List", they never work. There are two separate e-mail addresses in the "on behalf of" address and Outlook only puts one of them in the list and that one never seems to work.

There is also a troublesome address form that I get a lot when I setup to receive a site's "newsletter". They have a form like this:

Woot [newsletter=woot.com@mail273.us2.mcsv.net]

The Domain portion of the address changes with every e-mail they send out, in a round-robin order, because the company that does the actual sending is a service that has hundreds of e-mail servers in different parts of the world.
    I think you would need to add specific rules to deal with those examples. The single click method only works for simple cases.

Bruce

New Lounger
    Thanks
    You can also install the MS Junk Mail Reporting Tool (for all versions of Outlook) which will add a Report Junk option to the Junk Mail drop down menu. Selecting this option will move the offending email to your Junk Folder and report it to the MS abuse team to help them improve their identification tools. Get it at http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/downl....aspx?id=18275

New Lounger
    Thanks
    No, I'm trying to get this to work right in Outlook 2007.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I'm sorry -- I didn't make myself clear. I'm trying to add the domain of GOOD senders who end up in Junk Mail -- or who's pictures are not automatically downloaded. I want to add these address to the "Safe Senders List". When I get the bar at the top of an e-mail that asks if I want to download pictures, I click "Add senders Domain to Safe Senders List". At that point, Outlook adds something to the Safe Senders List but it is nothing that helps it recognize the same exact address next time around. Adding both parts of the addresses individually doesn't work either. This is really a bug but I hoped someone might have found a work-around.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to sfeldner For This Useful Post:

oftenconfused (2013-07-25)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Can anyone tell me if there is a limit on the size of these Safe Sender/Blocked lists? I have been using this feature for a very long time, so as you can imagine, the list builds pretty fast! To me it doesn't seem to be processing all of the list for Blocked.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by GaryBouchard View Post
    Can anyone tell me if there is a limit on the size of these Safe Sender/Blocked lists? I have been using this feature for a very long time, so as you can imagine, the list builds pretty fast! To me it doesn't seem to be processing all of the list for Blocked.
    About 2000 total, but you should be warned when the limit is reached and not be able to add more:

How many addresses can the safe and blocked lists hold?
    Approximately 2000 total. This is because the total size of all lists combined cannot exceed 512K. Once the 512K limit is reached, Outlook alerts you and additional addresses aren’t saved until you remove some from the list.

For example, if you have 1800 addresses on the safe list, you can only block approximately 200 addresses. If the addresses are long, your list will hold fewer addresses; if they’re short, you’ll be able to have more.

Microsoft imposed the limit to improve performance, as the lists are stored as a hidden property in the Inbox and duplicated to the local registry.

Understanding the Safe and Blocked Senders lists

Bruce

New Lounger
    Thanks
    SFeldner: Hello. I understand exactly what you are asking. I found your post while searching for the same solution that you are seeking. If I do find the answer, I'll come back and share it with you.
    Last edited by oftenconfused; 2013-07-25 at 19:29. Reason: Clarity as to whom I'm addressing