3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

SATA HDD via USB ports

I'm trying to get a new internal 500gb WD SATA hard drive to be recognized when plugged into external USB ports. The drive is not in an external HDD enclosure.

I have a SATA to USB adapter cable that used to work fine for this type of thing on XP computers. The adapter has 2 USB male terminals.........one for power and one for data.

When I connect the HDD to the computer via USB and go to DISK MANAGEMENT that sees the drive and assigns a drive letter. However it does not see the disk media. It states in NO MEDIA the left column and the right hand column in DISK MANAGEMENT is blank.

There is nothing wrong with the new HDD. When I couldn't get it to be recognized I installed it internally where it was immediately recognized. I took the opportunity while installed internally to format the drive. However once removed it is still not seen in DISK MANAGEMENT when plugged into USB.

I have tried this in both front and rear USB ports on the PC with the same results.

Do I need another SATA adapter for this. I see one on New Egg that looks like it might be what I need:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16812816111

This is driving me a bit nuts. USB memory sticks work just fine on this Windows 8 PC but I can't get external HDDs to be recognized.

Thanks,
    BH

Thanks
    Thanked 1,457 Times in 1,326 Posts
    BH,

What is the power rating on the WD unit? with 2 USB 2.0 connectors you're getting a max of 1000mw (500 each) or 1800mW if USB 3.0 ports (900mW each). So if the WD HDD is taking more than that it is most likely not spinning the platters properly if at all just the electronics are working. HTH
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

Thanks
    Does the drive need to be formatted as NTFS and set up for first time usage?
    This can be one from within Windows 8 disk manager.

If your able to get the drive recognized in disk manager then your SATA to USB cable you currently have should be fine.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

Thanks
    Good point RG, the OP would need a POWERED external enclosure.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    You need something more like this for a 3.5 inch bare external drive. 2.5" notebook and SSDs should light up and work fine on just the USB power.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by F.U.N. downtown View Post
    You need something more like this for a 3.5 inch bare external drive. 2.5" notebook and SSDs should light up and work fine on just the USB power.
    Thanks everyone. I just tried a SSD I had on the shelf and it sees it fine. I'll order up an externally powered SATA adapter.

BH
    Last edited by bhdavis; 2013-06-05 at 15:35.