Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Computer beeps then shuts down

This is a new PC. I boots up normally. Seems to run fine for weeks, then all of a sudden (usually overnight) it will shut down. Then the first time it is powered on it hangs at the bios splash screen. Power off/on seems to fix this, and windows doesn't complain about having been shut down improperly. Temps seem fine.

This is my daughters PC. I built it. She said that the last time this happened she heard it beep (not sure how many) after she was in bed and shut down. She didn't do anything until the next morning.

Here are the specs:

Gigabyte B75M-D3H mATX LGA1155 B75 DDR3 2PCI-E16 2PCI HDMI CrossFireX SATA3 USB3.0
    Intel Core i3 3220 Dual Core Hyperthreading Processor LGA1155 3.3GHZ Ivy Bridge 3MB Retail
    Kingston 4GB Kit 2X2GB 1333MHz DDR3 240PIN DIMM Unbuffered CL9 1.5V Memory Kit
    Bitfenix Merc Alpha Steel Black ATX Mid Tower Case 3X5.25 7X3.25 1X2.5 *No PS* Top 2XUSB3.0 Audio
    Seasonic SS-350ET 350W ATX12V 20/24PIN ATX Power Supply Active PFC 80PLUS 120MM Fan OEM
    Segate 1 terrabyte hard drive
    Liteon DVD Burner

I don't have access to this PC atm but will check the logs this weekend, check for loose connections, and test the memory.

Anyone have any idea what might be happening? This system is only about 2 month old.
    George

Thanks
    Determine [exactly] what the nature of the specific beeping that is actually taking place on the system in question, then
    examine the BIOS documentation for the beep codes & meanings thereof.

You'll get a much better idea of things from there.

(Speculation)
    Probably a power or sleep related issue regarding some combination of motherboard BIOS settings and OS.
    Last edited by CLiNT; 2013-06-12 at 16:52.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Windows 8.1, 64 bit
    Motherboard: DX58SO2*Chipset: X58 Express/Intel ICH10*BIOS: SOX5820J.86A.0888.2012.0129.2203*Processor: Intel Core i7 CPU X 990
    GPU: Nvidia GTX 580*Memory: Corsair 12 GB, 4x3@1600*PSU: Corsair HX1000*Hard drives: REVO X2 160GB*OCZ VERT X3 120GB*5 mechanical storage drives (12 TB) total.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Sorry, didn't get access till yesterday and only for a few minutes. Have set hibernation to never. Will see what happens.

BTW it wasn't a bios beep she heard, it was just Windows shutdown noise.
    George

Thanks
    I'd do a full malware scan. Sometimes young people don't think about safety when they are using the computer. I know that my son doesn't.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    This "young" person is 39 and knows what's what.
    George

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    What about automatic updates? They come along every few weeks, usually overnight (3 A.M.).

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I don't think automatic updates shut down PC.

Oh BTW, Windows 7.
    George

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    True, not by default, but, I cannot count the number of times that I've been tripped up by assuming the default.

Thanks
    Is this computer suppose to be on 24/7, or is it configured to power down after a predetermined timeframe?

Sleepmode troubleshooter:
    powercfg -ENERGY
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Windows 8.1, 64 bit
    Motherboard: DX58SO2*Chipset: X58 Express/Intel ICH10*BIOS: SOX5820J.86A.0888.2012.0129.2203*Processor: Intel Core i7 CPU X 990
    GPU: Nvidia GTX 580*Memory: Corsair 12 GB, 4x3@1600*PSU: Corsair HX1000*Hard drives: REVO X2 160GB*OCZ VERT X3 120GB*5 mechanical storage drives (12 TB) total.

Lounger
    Thanks
    The default is to reboot without asking permission. I was caught out by Windows 2008 a couple days ago -- left a job running overnight and came back in the morning to find the PC had rebooted and I had no idea whether my job had finished or was interrupted. Comes of using a 'server' OS from a company that writes toy OSs for consumers.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I suppose it could be Windows update, but I'm pretty sure Windows update doesn't reboot on it's own. If it can, please point me to where this can be changed. Isn't that one of window 7's improvements?

This PC was set up to hibernate after 5 hours of inactivity. However in the cases where it shut down there had been less than an hour of inactivity.

Would watching streaming video for a few hours without any keyboard or mouse input be considered inactivity by windows 7?
    George

Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by High Sierra View Post
    I suppose it could be Windows update, but I'm pretty sure Windows update doesn't reboot on it's own. If it can, please point me to where this can be changed. Isn't that one of window 7's improvements?
    I have seen warning pop-ups at times that indicate a reboot is necessary and will be performed automatically in xx amount of time after auto install of some updates in Win7 Pro 64.

Easy way to change automatic reboot on a failure is this. Right click on Computer icon on the desktop, select Properties, select Advanced System Settings in the left column, under the Advanced tab on the dialog box, look at the middle entry called System Failure and clear the checkmark next to Automatically restart. Instead of a reboot on failure you get a nice BSOD with codes to tell you why the failure.

Hope this may be of help in diagnosing the problem.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Have you periodically checked the operating temperatures of various components of the computer?

Some BIOSes have a page that gives that info. Otherwise, you can download an app for the purpose. I use Speedfan, http://www.almico.com/speedfan.php

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    @ TOF - I wasn't asking about preventing auto reboot on an error. I was asking if you could prevent Windows update from rebooting when PC is unattended.

@ lipscomb - operating temps are in the mid to high 20's at idle and in mid 30's when under load.

Also if Windows update shutdown the PC isn't that usually for a re-boot. I my case there is no re-boot.
    George

Thanks
    To prevent Windows Update restart:
    http://www.techspot.com/guides/230-p...date-restarts/

Jerry

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast