Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    New Lounger
    Thanks

Hardware fault diagnosis

Dear all,

I'm grasping at straws hoping that somebody can help identify a problem with a PC I'm trying to fix.

PC specification is below:
    Motherboard: Asus M4A78LT-M LE AM3 AMD760G MATX
    Memory: Kingston 1GB 1333MHz DDR3 Non-ECC CL9 DIMM (2 sticks)
    Processor: AMD ADX245OCGQBOX
    Hard drive: Seagate 500GB (IDE) (2 installed)
    SATA DVD drive
    No PCI cards or other peripherals.

Issue:
    PC was crashing to BSOD code 0124 regularly, and/or locking up.

Actions taken:
    PSU replaced - No effect
    Motherboard returned for checking - Fault reported and replacement provided
    Installed new Motherboard - Fault persisted
    Returned memory for checking - No faults found even on weekend soak test
    Returned processor to AMD - Fault found and replacement provided
    Installed new processor - fault persisted.
    Backed up data, and performed full low level format of boot drive
    Reinstalled Windows 7 - Installation failed with BSOD code 0124
    Tried to install Windows XP - Installation failed with BSOD code 0124 again.

Current status:
    Nothing left to replace but BSOD code 0124 remains.
    Also no hair left on my head

Can anybody help? I've built and repaired many PC's in my life, but this one has me flummoxed!

Many thanks,
    D.

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Donchik View Post
    Can anybody help? I've built and repaired many PC's in my life, but this one has me flummoxed!
    D,
    Hello... Just a thought Windows 7 does not use "IDE" , but SATA (AHCI) drivers.....XP does not have AHCI drivers but IDE. So......

If your BIOS is set for AHCI ...and try to load up XP .....Blue Screen

If your BIOS is set for IDE ...and try to load up "7" .......Blue Screen

1. Check your BIOS settings ... you might have to Slipstream the correct drivers ( Nlite)..or use a program like Macrium Reflect ( Re-deploy function) or Acronis Plus Pack, also has the same type of function to insert the AHCI drivers for XP

2. If your just installing "7" make sure BIOS is set for AHCI Regards Fred
    PlainFred

None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free (J. W. Von Goethe)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi Fred,

I've only got the DVD drive on a SATA port, but I'll give it a go.

I actually only want Windows 7 on the PC, the XP attempt was just to see if anything would install.

Thanks,
    D.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi Fred,

Just tried it, but the same BSOD.

Attached is a snap of the crash

STOP: 0x00000124 (0x0000000000000000, 0xFFFFFA8001979038, 0x00000000B6004000, 0x000000005D000135)

Thanks,
    D.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Donchik; 2013-06-06 at 11:22.

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi Fred,

Just tried it, but the same BSOD.
    D,
    Hello... Not sure what you meant by "Just tried it" ...Did you check your BIOS setting and make sure that it is set for AHCI? ( For Windows 7 ) also you say that your Hard Drives are IDE? If they are then you have to have the BIOS set at IDE

Also this sounds like a driver issue possibly for the CPU ...Did you install the drivers for the AMD ?( from the Motherboard Install?) Regards Fred

PS: on newer PC's you have to choose IDE or SATA (AHCI) My ASUS Motherboard (990FX) is only one or the other
    PlainFred

None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free (J. W. Von Goethe)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi Fred,

I checked the BIOS settings for the drives, and reinstalled Windows 7 to see what would happen.

The IDE drives are set as IDE, and I've now set the SATA ports to AHCI.

Installation went OK until just after the selection of regional settings. In my case UK.

The installation then terminated with a BSOD which I photographed and attached to this post.

As I'm doing a fresh/clean install, I do not have any chance to install additional drivers that are not part of the Windows 7 DVD itself.

Many thanks,
    D.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Ya, it can't be a controller setting because the IDE drive is on an IDE controller port right? Make sure the SATA DVD drive is plugged into either the 5 or 6 SATA port. I might try just one drive on a different (new) single IDE ribbon and if that didn't work I'd try a SATA drive on a SATA port to possibly further define exactly where the problem may lie.

The error seems to be from a PCI imbalance between the PCI bus and any PCI device but there isn't anything plugged into a PCI slot right? So it seems just from the surface that it's a motherboard fault but since that and other components have been replaced, seems less likely its that. However RAM can always cause nefarious errors of all sorts even if it seems like its the right type and speed. So if the SATA drive install should fail in the same way, and assuming all components are good, my only idea would be to try different RAM configurations, speeds, and BIOS voltage settings within tolerances if available.

Goofy as it sounds, sometimes it's just a bad assembly of components that don't like each other.

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    [QUOTE=Donchik;907581]

I checked the BIOS settings for the drives, and reinstalled Windows 7 to see what would happen.

D,
    Hello..The first problem i see is that if you have IDE Hard Drives ...you then need IDE Drivers installed on your Windows 7 (see Screen shot of my OS Device Manager ..there are no IDE Drivers that came with my 7 \ 64 Pro ) ...The other way is to change your IDE Hard Drives to SATA (AHCI) With IDE to SATA adapters. Did you get an Install Disk with your motherboard? Regards Fred
    Attached Images Attached Images
    PlainFred

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    I don't think Windows 7 has lost the ability to see and treat IDE controllers natively. I've installed to several IDE drives on IDE controllers; the install disk is original but MS wouldn't remove that later would they? The only problem I've ever had with an old IDE system is the DVD disc wouldn't boot over the IDE controller, it was still limited to CD booting only.

Thanks
    [QUOTE=Just Plain Fred;907587]

D,
    Hello..The first problem i see is that if you have IDE Hard Drives ...you then need IDE Drivers installed on your Windows 7 (see Screen shot of my OS Device Manager ..there are no IDE Drivers that came with my 7 \ 64 Pro ) ...The other way is to change your IDE Hard Drives to SATA (AHCI) With IDE to SATA adapters. Did you get an Install Disk with your motherboard? Regards Fred
    Fred: Just curious about something: I upgraded an XP PC to Windows 7. It had an IDE hard drive and an IDE DVD drive. The DVD drive refused to read the Windows 7 install disk. I replaced it with another IDE DVD drive; same thing. I put in a SATA DVD drive, and the problem disappeared and there has never been a problem since with the DVD drive.

In your opinion, was this problem caused by the lack of IDE support in Windows 7? My IDE hard drive continues to work in that computer to this day; the problem was only with the IDE DVD drive.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi Guys,

This is part of my bafflement.

I've built PC's like this using both IDE, and SATA, but never had an issue with a clean install, in fact windows 7 had always been easier.

This PC itself was running OK for nearly 3 years before the BSOD issue arose. Because of this I do not believe it's a component mismatch. In addition the processor and memory are both on the Asus certified list.

I am leaning back towards a hardware fault despite having had everything changed. It remains a possibility that one of the replacement items was also faulty, but difficult to prove.

Against this the PC will run forever without any apparent failure, for example forming the hard drive and running memory tests, and crashes only when I attempt to install an OS! This implies to me that the BSOD is software related and not hardware.

Any views either way?

Cheers,
    D.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Nope! No views either way here. If it's not a motherboard fault the error is not directly associative so I'm just thinking of the most likely secondary causes that might trigger that sort of blue screen, and second hand is never as precise as one would like. Hence my only option would be to throw brute force diagnostic configurations at it for a while. Not a lot you can do software-wise except reset the BIOS? You already tried an XP install with the same results correct? Try installing a LINUX distro like Ubuntu maybe.

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mrjimphelps View Post

Fred: Just curious about something: I upgraded an XP PC to Windows 7.

In your opinion, was this problem caused by the lack of IDE support in Windows 7? My IDE hard drive continues to work in that computer to this day; the problem was only with the IDE DVD drive.
    mrjim,

Hello... I also had a similar experience ...let me explain... On my old PC that was running Vista ( with all SATA HD's and DVD R\W) I was able to install XP Pro, and "7" without any issues ...driver or otherwise ..Guess the HP "Mobo" has some IDE\ SATA Legacy

Next came a new PC (home built) with an ASUS Mobo ... I could install "7", Vista, ( All SATA AHCI ) .."No Problemo"... But could not install XP-Pro without the blue screen... The install disk wouldn't even read or see any of the SATA AHCI Hard Drives..

The problem was that there were no SATA AHCI drivers that came with the XP Pro Install Disk ... Had to "Sneak-Em-In" using Macrium Reflect "Re-Deploy Function"

Basically.. (Thumb nail) Set BIOS for IDE.... Install XP-Pro ....Boot into "Safe Mode" ...Disable All IDE Drivers.... shut down and switch BIOS back to ACHI ... "Slipstream" ACHI Drivers into XP-Pro with Macrium "Re-Deploy" Re-Boot .....Done

Think that the "OP's" problem is his new Mobo BIOS has like mine only one choice or the other... IDE or SATA (not both) so "7" won't boot if set to IDE..unless you install the drivers ...and will blue screen...And XP won't Load or boot with SATA AHCI set in BIOS..... Hope this explains some... Regards Fred

PS: Could still be a AMD \ CPU... Issue Had to install ( ASUS Disk) the correct driver that came with the MOBO Booting into Macrium Reflect Re-Deploy.
    Last edited by Just Plain Fred; 2013-06-06 at 17:09.
    PlainFred

Thanks
    XP has a step in the install where it asks for any additional drivers. If you have a floppy with the SATA drivers, you can install them at this point. If you don't have a floppy drive, you have to set the SATA mode to IDE as you did.

You can install the AHCI drivers after the install by following this procedure:
    http://expertester.wordpress.com/200...ci-windows-xp/

Jerry

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    In that case absolutely Fred. I think the install is going to the IDE 40 pin connector and controller in this case though.

From post 3;
    I've only got the DVD drive on a SATA port, but I'll give it a go.
    Also the type of error you're referencing Fred will produce a different blue screen error. I've never seen a 124 myself but plenty of incompatible controllers and PCIe port blue screens when installing versions prior to XP SP2, and any non-slipstreamed driver packs for any version of XP, but always in relation to using a SATA port, not the IDE channel.
    Last edited by F.U.N. downtown; 2013-06-06 at 18:37.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast