New Lounger
    Thanks

Does anybody miss Microsofts's Clippy?

There used to be a joke on Microsoft: "You've got questions. We've got dancing paperclips."

Does anybody have some funny stories on Clippy?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Clippy-letter.PNG

Thanks
    You could download a bunch of assistants to replace Clippy. I rather liked the small yellow dog. The bouncing ball, Einstein, a wizard, a dolphin, and so on were no great improvement on Clippy, if considerably less smug.

I think the people who designed these Animated Assistants were next put onto the Metro/TIFKAM/Modern GUI for Windows 8...
    BATcher

Time prevents everything happening all at once...

Thanks
    He just hasn't been the same since I ran him through the paper shredder.
    Do you "Believe"? Do you vote? Please Read:
    LEARN something today so you can TEACH something tomorrow.
    DETAIL in your question promotes DETAIL in my answer.
    Dominus Vobiscum <))>(

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    No!

cheers, Paul

Thanks
    I hated that 'clippy' thingy!
    I could not stand the animated icon(s) and I used to disable it whenever it used to reset itself.
    I think that rudimentary 'clippy' thingy was part of Microsoft Office's clipboard utility.
    It has been many a year since I have relied on the Windows aged clipboard since the action of copy/paste (Ctrl+C and Ctrl+V) was brainless and only recalled a single/last clipboard command.
    There are many replacement clipboards that are more useful and [errrrrrrrrrrr...] intelligent.
    I prefer to use a utility called ClipCache that remembers as many copy commands as you wish to configure it for and can be customized to remember them even after repeated reboot actions.
    Unfortunately, ClipCache is not a FREEware utility but I am certain there are still other non-PAYware versions that can be available >> yet I am not aware of these that are fully compatible with Win8 OS.
    Maybe some other forum member can provide an alternative FREEware clipboard replacement on steroids as with ClipCache.

1)There may potentially be a security issue with permanently remembering the clipboard sets even after reboots. 2)I command ClipCache to utilize keyboard command Ctrl+Alt+V for the paste command popup

Thanks
    "Clippy" had nothing whatever to do with the clipboard; it was purely a supposedly 'cute' and 'user-friendly' way of obtaining help.

If you want to talk about improved clipboards, surely it would be better to start a new thread?
    BATcher

Time prevents everything happening all at once...

Thanks
    My bad!
    The Secret Origins of Clippy: Microsoft’s Bizarre Animated Character*Patents
    Of all the peculiar ideas that Microsoft has pursued over its almost 34 years in business, I can’t think of many that are more inexplicable than its long-standing interest in using animated characters to provide help to users of its software products–an aberration best known in the form of Clippy, the “Office Assistant” paperclip who was introduced in Office 97 and only departed the scene completely when the company released Office 2008 for the Mac a year ago. It’s hard to take Clippy, Microsoft Bob, and Windows XP’s Search Assistant doggie seriously. But a dozen years’ worth of patents relating to the basic idea shows that Microsoft takes it very seriously indeed–and I’m convinced that someone, somewhere within the company is still working away at it. Herewith, some images from those patents... Pasted from <http://technologizer.com/2009/01/02/microsoft-clippy-patents/>
    Quote Originally Posted by BATcher View Post
    ...If you want to talk about improved clipboards, surely it would be better to start a new thread?
    Thank you for the correction BATcher.
    Next time I am in need to start a new thread, I'd "surely" be certain to ask for your guidance on how to do so, if you "surely" wouldn't mind!

Thanks
    Not at all!
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Thanks
    Does anybody miss Microsofts's Clippy?
    NO.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

Thanks
    I remember this, and I don't miss it.