Star Lounger
    Thanks

Exporting table from IE to Excel

The only reason I ever use Internet Explorer is that it's convenient to export tables in the web to Excel (Office 2010).
    Recently, I was "updated" by MS to IE 10 (I had previously been using IE8) without my asking for it. (My Windows Update option is "Let Me Choose" but apparently MS doesn't like that.
    Now, when I right click on a table in IE, and select "Export to Microsoft Excel", an Excel Worksheet opens, but a window tells me I'm not connected to the internet or something like that, and the table isn't imported.
    Any suggestions? Maybe If I can "unupdate" to IE8 I'll be able to do what I want. How do I do that?
    Thanks.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    In Programs and Features, IE10 won't be listed under Installed Programs but it will be listed in Installed Updates - you can uninstal it from there and that will leave you with the previous version of IE. I am not sure if it will revert to IE8 or IE9 in your case, but if it is IE9 you can:

1. See if that works and, if it doesn't . . .
    2. . . . uninstall IE9, which will leave you with IE8

HTH

Thanks
    Also, you should be able to highlight (select) the entire table, right click on it, and choose Copy. Then open an Excel spreadsheet, highlight the entire spreadsheet, and choose Paste.

In fact, you can do that with just about anything in table format. It doesn't have to originally be an Excel spreadsheet.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    mrjimphelps, thanks
    I know about selecting a table, then pasting into Excel. It can be done from any browser, and it's what I have to do now.
    The point is, it used to be much more convenient with IE. Just right click anywhere in a table, one of the choices that comes up is "Export to Excel", select that, and Voila!, an Excel worksheet opens up containing that table! But now the worksheet comes up empty. The choice still exists in IE10, but it doesn't work.
    I looked through the list of Microsoft IE add-ons, and I don't understand what they're supposed to do from their names. Maybe it's some sort of a conflict between 32 bit and 64 bit versions of Windows 7? Anybody out there have any clues?

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Looks like it's a context menu item from either Excel 2003 or 2007. IE10 may no longer be compatible with the function or some security setting is preventing the action. If you happen to be using the 64-bit version of IE10 try the 32-bit version. Otherwise did it work with IE9? If so you might have to uninstall IE10 to get it to work again in IE9.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    How do I know if I have the 64 bit or 32 bit version of IE10? And if I have the 64 bit version, how do I download the 32 bit version.
    By the way, I have Excel 2010, not 2003 or 2007.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I'll eat my hat of it is a 32 bit vs 64 bit issue - could be wrong, but I'd leave that until last in your investigations.

It is very easy to revert to an earlier version of IE, so I'd start there.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    First, I want to thank everyone for their help.
    I "unupdated" to IE 8, and I found something strange. Some sites now worked, and I imported a table from them into EXCEL. But other sites (NYSE site, for instance) still didn't work, so I think I'm back where I started. It's possible that these non-functional sites didn't work in the past, I just never tried them.
    In any case, I think I'll give up on IE. it's not worth the hassle.

Sorry everyone, I thought I had posted the above reply a few days ago. Apparently, I never hit the "Post Quick Reply" button. Well, better late than never.