Star Lounger
    Thanks

Keyboard replacement

Any suggestions for a good replacement keyboard for my desktop computer?

NB: I come from the Pleistocene Age. My first PC in '82 was the original IBM PC with an 8088 CPU, 2 360 KB floppy drives and a monochrome monitor. One of the things that sold me on this machine was its absolutely fabulous keyboard! (I think they were made in KY). They had a positive, tactile feel with a definite click when the key was pressed. I have never found anything close to this since that time.

-PF

Thanks
    Thanked 1,457 Times in 1,326 Posts
    OF,

You need to Google - mechanical keyboard switch keyboards - if you want something like that old IBM and.
    Be ready for sticker shock. HTH
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

3. The Following User Says Thank You to RetiredGeek For This Useful Post:

pfeldmann (2013-06-06)

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Than ks for the suggestion. I came up with WASD keyboards, and they look great! See:
    http://www.wasdkeyboards.com/index.php/

As far as sticker shock, well, I don't mind paying for quality. In the world of computers, the price / performance range has widened so immensely it's ridiculous. That first 1982 IBM-PC of mine came to a little over $2,000. That's with a monochrome monitor, 16K of internal memory, a cassette port, and NO installed floppy drives. I had a brother in law who worked at Tandon, and he gave me a couple of used 360K drives. A year later, I was writing articles for PC Magazine. One of my early reviews was of an external hard drive for the PC. It came in a case just as large as the computer, was connected with a humungeously-large cable, cost close to $1,000, and had a capacity of five MB . . .

Thanks
    You can get an original IBM keyboard on ebay and other places. Some of them are shrinkwrapped and still in the original package, never yet opened!

You'll pay probably $60 for one of these keyboards (I haven't checked the price in a while). But it's worth it, if you like those keyboards.

I have an original IBM keyboard on ALL of my computers. I couldn't imagine being with the "toys-r-us" keyboards that they sell these days. (My coworkers are tired of all of the clicking noises!)

Two things to keep in mind:

1. There is no "Windows" key on an original IBM keyboard. You'll need to use ctrl-alt-del if you want to lock the keyboard, and other substitute keystrokes for other functions.

2. These keyboards are PS/2. (Don't get a USB variant; I bought one, but it didn't work.) Therefore, you'll either need to have PS/2 ports on your computer, or you'll need to get a PS/2 to USB adapter. These adapters cost about $5, and they work perfectly.

Check out the following site: http://www.clickeykeyboards.com/index.html

Thanks
    BTW, I had the same first PC -- Original IBM PC, made in 1982. If my BIOS had been one day older, it wouldn't have supported hard drives! Since it did, I bought a 20 meg hard drive.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks. Interesting info. I think though, that by the time the PS/2 came around, the keyboards had already begun to change. And adapting an original PC keyboard to a modern computer probably would not work, software-wise.

-PF

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by pfeldmann View Post
    Thanks. Interesting info. I think though, that by the time the PS/2 came around, the keyboards had already begun to change. And adapting an original PC keyboard to a modern computer probably would not work, software-wise.

-PF
    In what way would it not work? I use an original IBM keyboard (the model M, with the PS/2 plug on it) for my Windows 8 eMachines computer (originally it had Vista), as well as my Windows 7 Dell laptop. I don't have the latest version of Office (I use 2007), but Windows 8 is about as new as it gets.

I never have any problem. In fact, as you discovered a while back, I can type a lot faster and more sure on an original IBM keyboard than on any other keyboard.

An original IBM keyboard seems to be a natural with Windows 8, because it feels snappier and more stable than previous versions of Windows, and the IBM keyboard sure is snappier and more solid feeling than other keyboards.

The only thing you are missing is the Windows key, and there are alternate keystrokes or mouseclicks for it.

Based on what you said in your original post, you should definitely try an original IBM model M keyboard.

The Model M set the standard for the industry. I wouldn't go with an older keyboard than the Model M, for example, the keyboard I had with my original IBM PC (8088). In that case, you would be right; you'd be behind the times.
    Last edited by mrjimphelps; 2013-06-07 at 00:18.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    The problem is with the word "original". As I mentioned, by the time IBM created the PS/2 line, keyboards had already changed considerably. The keyboard I used with my original IBM PC, along with "PC-DOS" in 1982 is "original", noit the PS/2 unit.

Thanks
    I did catch that; that's why I started saying "Model M."

Having said that, I know that you would like the Model M keyboard, based on what you put in your original post.

Another characteristic of the Model M keyboard is that it has the function keys (12 of them) across the top. That was a huge deal when IBM first put them on the top; many people preferred them on the side ("where God intended them", in the words of one person!).

I have three Model M keyboards which I basically retrieved out of the trash. They were going to be disposed of, and so I grabbed them. That's all I use; I would be miserable if I had to use one of the toys-r-us "keyboards" that you get these days.