New Lounger
    Thanks

Display Excel icons on a webpage

How do I display an Excel spreadsheet, complete with menus and toolbar icons, on a web page please?

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Display Excel icons on a webpage

Not quite clear what your question is.

If you open an Excel (or Word) file in IE, your IE toolbar receives a Tools icon. When clicked, this icon will enable your browser to display whatever toolbars etc. settings you had for Excel (or Word) the last time you had it open, and the majority of the commands on the Menu Bar (provided you haven't customised it) and shortcut menus also become available.

Would placing a link on your webpage to an Excel file on the same part of the site perhaps accomplish (most of) what you are trying to do?

HTH
    Gre

New Lounger
    Thanks

Thank you for your response. I tried it but I don't get the TOOLS icon. I'm using IE5, if that makes any difference. I'm trying to create an online tutorial for my department. I've got a web page with 2 frames. The left page displays instructions and the right page has an Excel/Word document. People can read the instructions and the practice the steps in Excel/Word, but they need to see the icons and menu list. I've also tried resizing and positioning the web page in the bottom right corner of the screen with Javascript but Javascript window.focus option doesn't keep the window in front of other applications. Any ideas or solutions? Eddie.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

To the best of my recollection, the Tools icon was definitely there on all the versions of IE5 that I have used.

On reflection, I should have pointed out it is not available by default. Try right-clicking and selecting "Customise". You will probably need to drag it over from the "available" icons on the left of the customisation menu. You may wish to place it all the way at the top/left of the icons menu. (BTW, each time you open a new doc in Word/Excel, you need to "reactivate" the toolbars by pressing the Tools icon.)

The menu (with the exception of "File") should transform in any event - provided you haven't customised it in the base application. This is particularly the case in Word; where "customisation" can extend to macros you've placed in Normal.dot. Toolbar and Shortcut Menu customisations, however, tend not to "interfere" in either case.
    Gre

Thanks

I was convinced this wouldn't work, but....

Opening a worksheet within a frame appears akin to having a non-maximised worksheet open within Excel - the worksheet floats without the toolbars which remain fixed to the main application window.

I then started experimenting with macros to call up the toolbars and Bingo! However, I can find no way to get the 'toolbar activating' macro to auto-run when the worksheet is opened within IE - the normal tricks of putting it in "Private Sub Workbook_Open()" etc. just don't work.

The closest I have got so far is to run it with a button, which calls:
    Sub Macro1()
    Application.CommandBars("Standard").Visible = True
    Application.CommandBars("Formatting").Visible = True
    End Sub

I have attached a copy of the worksheet for you to experiment with and I'd be interested to see if anyone can come up with an activation-on-open solution.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Thanks

And this is what it looks like (bearing in mind I have customised my 'standard' toolbars)
    Attached Images Attached Images

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Sorry if I'm not understanding the question, but...

Can you just take screen dumps, and crop them as appropriate?
    Subway Belconnen- home of the Signboard to make you smile. Get (almost) daily updates- follow SubwayBelconnen on Twitter.

Thanks

Hmmmm.
    I read it as wanting a fully 'working' Excel worksheet - one frame gives instructions, the other where the viewer can practise!

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

The issue of making the Excel menu options available is still unresolved.

Due to the frameset constraint, the "Host" application has reverted from being Excel to the default (IE). Thus the main menu options remain the default IE options.

Depending on the setting, one could have an intro web page with two links:
    <UL><LI>the first link would launch a popup window - with the instructions (and remain available)
    <LI>the second would link to the Excel workbook - and transform the main menu into Excel options (w/ toolbars available through the inbuilt IE control)[/list](I appreciate that popups are not to everyone's liking.)
    Gre

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Doh.

Yes, that's exactly what is said. Please ignore me.
    Subway Belconnen- home of the Signboard to make you smile. Get (almost) daily updates- follow SubwayBelconnen on Twitter.