The aforementioned thread is closed -- so I need to start again to correct my last post there.

The classic pan and scan virtual desktop has been disabled in Windows because Microsoft switched to the Windows Display Driver Model (WDDM) in VISTA, Windows 7, and Windows 8. In the closed thread, I wrote in my final post that GiMeSpace Desktop Extender was a disaster.

I need to correct that -- in its more recent incarnations, GiMeSpace Desktop Extender has been a joy. It's available in three versions at the official website http://gimespace.com/

There's a free version that allows only for horizontal or left-right movement, a 2D version that adds vertical or up and down movement, and a 3D version that adds seamless in and out zooming.

There is one caveat. If you are among the small number of us who use Office Tab with Microsoft Office 2013 and GiMe Space, be aware that the changes Microsoft made to Office 2013 introduced an unknown conflict. So if you use all three programs, Office apps may behave strangely. They're useable, but, for example, I've had to open a blank spreadsheet in Excel 2013 and put some text in a cell -- otherwise when I open another spreadsheet, Excel 2013 crashes. I've also got to close the open Excel tabs before closing Excel 2013. These problems happen only in Office 2013 (including Office 365), not Office 2010 or 2007 -- and only if you use both Office Tab and GiMeSpace - in both Windows 7 and Windows 8. Otherwise, I've got to say that GiMe Space Desktop Extender is a great solution for those of us who crave a pan and scan virtual desktop in Windows.