Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    New Lounger
    Thanks

Hacking on Yahoo

is anyone getting hacking on one's yahoo email? I have some suspicious activity even though i changed my password, and I am getting strange emails from other peoples yahoo addresses.
    Robin

2. Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,159 Times in 1,067 Posts
    What would that suspicious activity would be?

It's rather common to receive email from other accounts, most likely resulting from malware problems from their owners.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I have seen that on other email accounts in addition to Yahoo. As mentioned it can be the result of some other computer owner
    --- Since you say that you have some suspicious activity, run a complete scan to make sure your computer is clean
    Changing your password was a good idea
    --- I have seen a couple of people who couldn't change their password which created additional problems
    When you receive an email from someone else, if you know them, call them and talk to them about it
    --- I have had to block other peoples email addresses when they wouldn't take proper action on their part many times because they didn't know what to do themselves and needed help to understand what to do & why
    If you don't know who that someone else is, block that email address
    --- If the problem persists, see if your ISP will be helpful
    ------ One of my friends was using Outlook within her Verizon account. Since she lives quite a distance away, I couldn't go & help her but Verizon did

New Lounger
    Thanks
    thanks, on occasion I do get an obvious malware email from a friend, which i delete and tell them about it. But i have also found on one occasion that my yahoo account was sending out emails to many of my contacts without me knowing, and all this seems to occur with yahoo . I use a mac with mac mail so to me it was even more surprising. I was getting very suspicious of yahoo and wondered if this was a common occurrence with them.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,159 Times in 1,067 Posts
    Some yahoo accounts are, indeed, hacked. You should change your password and try to use one hard to crack through a brute force attack.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

New Lounger
    Thanks
    anyone know if yahoo are the ones mainly susceptible to this, they really need to get a security upgrade

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    See if these will help you with some ideas
    http://www.switched.com/2011/02/24/w...ccount-hacked/
    http://www.hacked-email.com/

Since you have had an occassion that your yahoo account has sent out emails, chances are the hacker created an alias account and used that one to do what he/she did
    --- Consider cancelling your present Yahoo account, create a brand new Yahoo account with a strong password and new secret questions & answers (and make sure the answers are not easy answers)
    --- In my case I don't use a matching answer to the actual question
    --- If you don't want to create a brand new Yahoo account ensure your password is a strong one and change the questions & answers at a minimum

The malware email you get from your friend is also a factor even if you don't open what's in the email.
    --- It's origination can be including your friends email address book and potentially allows your email address book to be hacked
    --- Whoever the originating hacker is can scour any email addresses in your friends or someone else in his/her list and attempt to hack into each one
    --- If that is the case, I don't believe it matters whether you are using Yahoo or mac
    --- Whether or not Yahoo is more susceptible I doubt it. I've been using Yahoo since my computer was born without any problems and I have some friends with similar problems who weren't using Yahoo

Bottom line: Make sure your comuter is clean & safe and well maintained. From what I understand mac's are easy to do but if something external comes into the picture, your computer is affected

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Yahoo accounts are indeed being hacked on a worldwide scale.

See http://www.channel4.com/news/bt-yaho...in-global-hack for example.

I should add, that since that was posted, BT has sacked Yahoo as their email provider.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I got an email from Yahoo saying that someone in Egypt had accessed my account on 2 occasions. I changed my password and haven't had a problem since (as far as I know).
    Fafner

Thanks
    Around 18 months ago, Yahoo! banned me 2x because I reported my account being accessed by someone in China (I gave them the IP, Email program and OS), I'm pleased to see that they've moved on from there.

About 2x months after, I noticed there was a new (or more obvious) facility to check recent account access IPs built in to Yahoo!, so some good seemed to have come out of my little altercation with them. Too little too late though, it looks like it took a major security breach and BT walking out on them to trigger a wider response.

I hope the new Yahoo! Classic front end is more secure than the old one, that they expand on their internal security checks and email warnings and that they keep on top of the situation from here on in.

Yes, I'm still a Yahoo user, early adopter, so I've been with them a long time.

Thanks
    At work, our anti-spam program has, over the last month or two, trapped a whole bunch of spam emails from yahoo.com, yahoo.co.uk and btinternet.com "hijacked" email addresses.
    BATcher

Dear Diary, today the Hundred Years War started ...

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    From my own observation, thus a small sample, too small to be statistically significant, all of my friends and other contacts who have their accounts hacked are on Yahoo.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Yahoo seems to be the problem. I agree with JF - around 10 email contacts of mine have been hacked (that I know of) and all have been on yahoo. Anyone know why that is?

New Lounger
    Thanks

Add abuse@yahoo.com to your yahoo! Address Book

Quote Originally Posted by JohnFleming View Post
    From my own observation, thus a small sample, too small to be statistically significant, all of my friends and other contacts who have their accounts hacked are on Yahoo.
    I don't have any of my Contacts in the Yahoo! web mail Address Book, I use Mozilla Thunderbird Address Book for those folks.

I have an entry for abuse@yahoo.com in my Yahoo! web mail Address Book.
    I have an entry for abuse@juno.com in my Juno web mail Address Book.

etc. etc. etc.

If Spammers want to sent their stuff to the folks in MY Address Book, their emails go to the Right People.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to MoreOff For This Useful Post:

brino (2013-08-14)

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MoreOff View Post
    I don't have any of my Contacts in the Yahoo! web mail Address Book, I use Mozilla Thunderbird Address Book for those folks.

I have an entry for abuse@yahoo.com in my Yahoo! web mail Address Book.
    I have an entry for abuse@juno.com in my Juno web mail Address Book.

etc. etc. etc.

If Spammers want to sent their stuff to the folks in MY Address Book, their emails go to the Right People.
    Good idea MoreOff! I'll add those to my wife's and my Yahoo address books. My wife's account was hacked last week, sending spam with malicious links. Yahoo noted the last logins were in South America. She changed her password and the spamming stopped.

My next project is to install a password database (KeePass and Password Safe are two I've used successfully) on her laptop and teach her how to use it.
    PJ in FL

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast