Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

Problem Dual Booting Win 7 & 8+

I had problems booting either Win 7 or Win 8.

I reinstalled Win 7 successfully, and activated and installed all applicable Windows Updates. I also did some selective copying and pasting from the last backup I made before the boot problems started.

With regard to Win 8, I restored that to the same drive it was on before, using Macrium Reflect, which naturally formatted the disk before restoration. However, if I try to boot Win 8 I am told “Windows can’t verify the digital signature for the file Windows\System32\winload.exe. To start without this file temporarily disable driver signature enforcement"

After reinstalling Win 7 Win 8 did not show up on the boot screen, but it did after I restored Win 8 from the backup.

I can find the file in the Macrium backup, but the properties of the existing file in System32 and the one in the backup are identical, including the hash sums, so replacing the existing file with a copy of the backed up version would seem to be pointless.

Help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks and regards,
    Roy
    OS Dual Boot Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit & Windows 7 Pro With SP1 64 bit. (Intel Core i7 2600K Processor LGA1155-Asus P867 Pro Motherboard-GTX550 Ti DirectCU Graphics Card-Memory 8GB)

Roy Whitethread

Thanks
    Roy, I think this is what happened.

When you originally installed Win 8 as a dual boot with Win 7, the Win 8 boot loader took over for the Win 7 boot loader. In this way you could see both Win 7 and Win 8. When you subsequently reinstalled Win 7, it's boot loader took over again. Win 7 does not recognize the newer File System of Win 8 as a valid OS (I believe I read this). Just restoring the Win 8 partition does not restore the Win 8 boot loader.

I believe in your scenario you would have to start anew, reinstalling Win 7 (which you have already done) then reinstalling Win 8. You can then grab the stuff you need from the Win 8 Image just as you did when you reinstalled Win 7.

If you had instead created an image of Win 7/Win 8 dual boot initially, then simply restore the Win 7 image you would have been fine, but reinstalling Win 7 interrupted the integrity of the dual boot. When I was dual booting, I imaged the entire HD at least once, and often more than that. Then on subsequent images if I wished to save time I would image just a particular OS depending on what the reason for creating a new image was. If I had made changes to both OSs then I would include both in the new image.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Medico For This Useful Post:

royw (2013-06-07)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Medico View Post
    Win 7 does not recognize the newer File System of Win 8 as a valid OS (I believe I read this). Just restoring the Win 8 partition does not restore the Win 8 boot loader.
    That is not true. I dual boot Windows 7 with Windows 8, but I use the Windows 7 boot loader (don't like the extra contortions the Windows 8 boot loader goes through). The Windows 8 file system is NTFS, just like Windows 7. I do the same with my laptop, and it is UEFI/GPT.

The route to go would have been to use the free version of Easy BCD after the Windows 7 reinstall, and simply add the existing Windows 8 installation to the Windows 7 boot loader. Here's a video of the Windows 7 loader launching Windows 8:

Windows 7 Boot Menu.
    Last edited by bbearren; 2013-06-07 at 06:39. Reason: added link
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows

5. The Following User Says Thank You to bbearren For This Useful Post:

royw (2013-06-07)

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    bbearren and Ted, firstly I forgot to mention that when I restored Win 8 with Macrium Reflect, just before the process started I was asked whether I wanted to use an option to do with the MBR (I can't remember exactly what it said) and I accepted that. Maybe that was the cause of the Win 8 boot problem. At any rate , I wouldn't use that option again-I learn from my mistakes.

Ted, how do you include 2 drives in the same image?

bbearren, I have Easy BCD-is it too late to use it in the manner you describe? If not, could you please tell me exactly how to do it.

Please advise further.

Thanks and regards,
    Roy
    OS Dual Boot Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit & Windows 7 Pro With SP1 64 bit. (Intel Core i7 2600K Processor LGA1155-Asus P867 Pro Motherboard-GTX550 Ti DirectCU Graphics Card-Memory 8GB)

Roy Whitethread

Thanks
    I do not know the exact procedure for Macrium Reflect, but in Acronis when I choose the source drives, I can put a check mark in one or the other, or BOTH. If I choose both then both partitions will be included in the Image. When I was dual booting Win 7, Win 8 with my data partition, I put a check mark in all 3.

When you restore, you can choose which OS to restore, and where to restore it. You have to be careful here that your partitions are labeled such that you can easily distinguish between them. After all you don't want to restore Win 7 in the Win 8 partition.

Acronis.jpg

I always label my partitions with the OS installed there.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Medico For This Useful Post:

royw (2013-06-07)

Thanks
    Using Easy BCD is quite simple.

EasyBCD.jpg

This shows the main screen. To add another OS choose the Add New Entry tab.

EasyBCD.jpg
    Last edited by Medico; 2013-06-07 at 10:54.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Medico For This Useful Post:

royw (2013-06-07)

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    Ted, thanks a lot, particularly for the comment about labels. I will try the Easy BCD add new entry method for future reference, but on reflection I think I will reinstall Win 8 anyway.

Regarding backing up 2 drives with one image, I don't think you can do that with Macrium, but I will ask them.

Thanks again,

Regards,
    Roy

Roy Whitethread

Thanks
    Sorry, I do not know about Macrium Reflect. In Acronis I can Image and Restore any or all Partitions on a HD. I wonder if that is something you would need the paid edition of Macrium Reflect for. Perhaps someone who uses Macrium Reflect can answer that question.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Yes system backup in the case of imaging software might only mean the partition recognized as the active operating system partition. In ToDo it's that way, what might seem reversed in that system means just the OS partition and partition backup means any partition or groups of partitions including whole disks. So if I want to back up a dual boot system I choose disk/partition backup, ironically, not system backup.

Thanks
    I wonder if the paid versions of Macrium and ToDo would include the whole disk option. When I was dual booting with a data partition (total of 3 partitions on the HD) Acronis also had an option called (I believe) whole disk backup, or something like that. This option would Image everything including OS partitions, Data Partitions, Windows reserved partitions, Recovery partitions, etc. I generally did not use this option because it takes more time. After getting a whole disk Image once, I would only Image the partition I was changing, unless both OSs had major changes, then I would Image the whole disk once again.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by royw View Post
    Regarding backing up 2 drives with one image, I don't think you can do that with Macrium, but I will ask them.
    Roy,

Hello... I use Macrium Reflect both Paid (Pro) and Free versions .. .I'm not sure if you're asking about 2 separate, hard drives or two partitions.
    If it's two (or more ) partitions ..."No Problemo" You just select (check box) the ones you want to Image. ...or you could just do a "Clone" of the entire Hard Drive... Regards Fred
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Just Plain Fred; 2013-06-08 at 09:06.
    PlainFred

None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free (J. W. Von Goethe)

Thanks
    With Acronis, you can also back up multiple disks in one image.

Jerry

17. The Following User Says Thank You to jwitalka For This Useful Post:

Medico (2013-06-08)

Thanks
    Thanks for that info Jerry. Since I do not have multiple disks I did not know that. Good to know for future reference.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Thanks
    I used to backup both my OS and data disks in one differential image. After the first backup, the differentials didnt take too much time or space. On restore you can choose to restore one or both disks as well as browse foor individual files.

Jerry

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    Fred, regarding your post #11 I have the Pro version and now realize I can back up multiple disks in one image.

I have now successfully reinstalled Win 8. I have a couple of minor queries and will start new threads for them.

Thanks for all the replies.

Regards,
    Roy

Roy Whitethread

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast