Lounger
    Thanks

Search Function needs improvement

When I'm in a forum and I click "Search Forum", then type FTP for my search phrase, then hit enter, then I'm delivered to the advanced search page with FTP already in the search field. Why?

When I try and search on FTP from the advanced search screen, I get a msg that says FTP is too short a word and therefore is dropped from my list of search parameters. Why?

I'd like to search, headers only, in a particular forum, for FTP. Don't think there would be that many, but so what if there are. Can't your search engine just quit searching after 1000 or 10,000 or 100,000 hits?

I'd got a problem with FTP, I'd like to read other people's posts before I go posting the same old problem that's already been answers numerous times in the past.

thanks

Thanks
    FTP was suggested as one of the shorter words that should accepted in a forum search in this thread

http://windowssecrets.com/forums/sho...ts-short-terms

Perhaps it's not been implemented?

ETA: The only reason I mention that thread is I remember posting in it, I highly doubt you'd have found it by searching!
    Last edited by Browni; 2013-06-07 at 20:45.

Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Browni View Post
    FTP was suggested as one of the shorter words that should accepted in a forum search in this thread

http://windowssecrets.com/forums/sho...ts-short-terms

Perhaps it's not been implemented?
    It has NOT been implemented. Thanks

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by nylla View Post
    When I'm in a forum and I click "Search Forum", then type FTP for my search phrase, then hit enter, then I'm delivered to the advanced search page with FTP already in the search field. Why?
    So that you can be told it's too short.

When I try and search on FTP from the advanced search screen, I get a msg that says FTP is too short a word and therefore is dropped from my list of search parameters. Why?

I'd like to search, headers only, in a particular forum, for FTP. Don't think there would be that many, but so what if there are. Can't your search engine just quit searching after 1000 or 10,000 or 100,000 hits?
    This issue applies to all forums running on vBulletin software, because the default minimum word length indexed is four characters. Reducing that requires recompiling the index and makes the database larger, which could slow down forum functions.

I'd got a problem with FTP, I'd like to read other people's posts before I go posting the same old problem that's already been answers numerous times in the past.

thanks
    You can search for *FTP.

Bruce

5. The Following User Says Thank You to BruceR For This Useful Post:

nylla (2013-06-11)

Lounger
    Thanks
    *FTP works, thanks.

But, of course, no solution to my problem