3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Can't alter service start settings.

I've just set up a scheduled task to update Windows defender. I use Avast AV, but Defender keeps reminding me to update, so I'm following the advice of an earlier post to set up this task.
    It didn't appear to operate, despite double checking everything was set up OK, so I went into services.msc to check the Task Scheduler was running.
    It wasn't, and was set to be started manually. I went into properties to change the setting to automatic but couldn't do it, the options were greyed out.
    I could start the service but not alter the settings. I can't find any reason for this, it doesn't affect all services, most of those I checked could be set to Auto, manual etc OK.
    Anybody come across this or got any ideas for solution? I'm running Win & Ultimate.
    Thabks.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    Try using the Registry editor.

Go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Servic es\Schedule change the "Start" key to hex 2.

Then Re-boot.

Joe

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for that, Joe.

It's set Task Scheduler to start automatically, as I wanted, but the options in the Properties box remain greyed out.

Any idea why this should be so, is there some policy setting that may be affecting this?

Alex

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    You're welcome. Sorry, but I don't know of a policy setting for this. I suspect it is an ownership and permissions question or some registry setting. It is not easy trying to find what various registry keys do.

Joe

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by A1ex View Post
    Thanks for that, Joe.

It's set Task Scheduler to start automatically, as I wanted, but the options in the Properties box remain greyed out.

Any idea why this should be so, is there some policy setting that may be affecting this?

Alex
    Task Scheduler logs on as Local System Account. That's why the options are greyed out; it's a permissions thing.
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows