New Lounger
    Thanks

New Logm.In domain for LMI account sign-in

Just noticed that LogMeIn (LMI) is using a new domain for account sign-in: LogMe.In

The .IN TLD is the country code for India. One would expect an Internet company such as LMI to use global resources. However, I know nothing about security and privacy laws in India so the change raises the question in my mind as to where account credentials and other user data are stored.

I could find nothing authoritative on the LMI web site that addresses those concerns, so i am thinking of switching to a more transparent alternative provider. I saw a reference to TeamViewer in another thread and will check them out.

Other recommendations to a similar "free for private use" remote control service will also be welcome.

Thanks in advance!!

KNS

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    LogMe.In is registered in Massachusetts. I don't think it matters where their servers are located.

Good luck trying to discover which country physically hosts your TeamViewer account/password.

Bruce

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    The domain name and the server locations need not be related at all and usually are not. I have hosted domains from all over the world, in US located servers, run by providers from somewhere else too. It is most likely that they are using a .in domain for a matter of making it easier to get to their own URLs (it's rather cool, to use LogMe.In), if you ask me.

I doubt that LogMeIn is not using their own servers or servers rented to a big player like Amazon or similar.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    According to a domain check the site is in the US and registered to Logmein in the US.
    Seems they just wanted a "clever" URL.

cheers, Paul