New Lounger
    Thanks

Changing the name of my LAN

I have very little experience with wi-fi and even less with tablets. Got my first 10" tablet and was eventually able to connect it to my home network after a lengthy discussion with a very patient Linksys tech. The ultimate solution was to rename the LAN and change the password. That was yesterday. Today the LAN appears with its former name but with the new password. My laptop and desktop still connect to my home network. My tablet connects also, but it connects to the LAN with name we changed it to yesterday. The tablet notes the formerly named LAN but indicates that LAN is out of range. So everything connects, BUT...The network Map on my desktop does not show the tablet. My goal is simply (?) to have the network see all three devices so I can explore all the possibilities. It seems to me that the simplest solution here is what my Subject suggests: change the name of the LAN. Any suggestions? (I hope I layed this out clearly.)

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    There is no need to rename your network, it's only a bit of text.
    Your laptop is not likely to show in your network map because it is not a network device in the same way a PC is, it's effectively a passive device and only listens to network traffic.
    To copy from your PC to your tablet you either need a USB stick (some tablets don't have a USB connector) or use a web browser or sync software like DropBox.

Tell us what are you attempting to do and we will advise?

cheers, Paul

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul T View Post
    Your laptop is not likely to show in your network map because it is not a network device in the same way a PC is, it's effectively a passive device and only listens to network traffic.
    I think you are referring to the tablet here, not the laptop Paul. And it depends on the tablet. Surface tablets should show up on the network map, especially the Pro version. The Ipad and Android tablets won't.

Jerry