Star Lounger
    Thanks

Could not connect to a network

A laptop was given to me running Windows 7 Home Premium x64 because of repeated Blue Screens. Memtest showed bad RAM so remove one 2GB stick and now booted with no problems on the remaining 2GB RAM. The only issue I am faced with is connecting to a network via onboard Realtek Wireless adapter. Several Networks are found including mine and my guest account. However, when I attempt to connect, the screen just just clears and no connection made. This happens the same wheter it is a protected or non protected network. No dialogue box to enter passkey appears.

Things I have done:
    1. Made sure the wireless adapter in on
    2. Ran troubleshooter: Indicated that no primary network was selected (No help there)
    3. Uninstalled then reinstalled adapter through Device manager. Will still not connect. Device Manager reported device was functioning properly
    4. Uninstalled then reinstalled with updated driver from Realtek. Same thing. Device Manager reported device was functioning properly
    5. Made sure WLAN service was running and set to automatically start and it was
    6. System restore point. Again will not connect
    7. Connection no problem with ethernet cable. Able to surf with no issue and connect to other computers.
    8. Tried 3 different USB adapters: Belkin, Buffalo, TP-Link with updated drivers. Device Manager reported devices were functioning properly. All known to connect with no issues to my Netgear WNDR3700 Router. Same symptoms. Available networks but screen clears when clicked on and no connection made. No prompt to enter passkey on protected ones.
    9. Flushed DNS cache. No change
    10 The TP-Link had its own utility to manage Network connections, so I installed it and it worked. The available networks were detected and TP-link adapter connected after asking for Passkey when attempting secured Network. Of Course, the TP-Link recognizes on the TP_Link adapter

I am still looking fo a resolution so I can use the onboard Realtek adapter but the propblem seem to be a windows issue with the way it is managing the network connections. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. There have been no windows updates or installs just prior to the blue screens that may be the problem; it was working fine at that point.

TIA,
    Alouso

Thanks
    Is the WLAN Autoconfig service running?

Jerry

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Jw,

Thanks for your reply. Yes, that is the service that I was referring to in my inital post. Sorry for not indicating the full name. Any other thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Forgot to mention in my original post that I am only running Windows firewall, no 3rd party. Tried with firewall disabled to no avail. Computer is now fully updated and still not connecting wirelessly

A
    Last edited by Alouso; 2013-06-10 at 17:25.