New Lounger
    Thanks

Re-install Windows 8 pro with or without Media Center?

Hi
    I did a clean install of Windows 8 pro upgrade. I then installed the free upgrade (at the time) of Media Center which changed the product key.I have tried to do a refresh which asks for the original DVD (windows 8 pro upgrade) which I insert .I then enter the original product key which is not accepted so I enter the new product key (media center) but this is not accepted either. Windows then says that it was unable to do a refesh. Would I need to remove Media Center and then re-install Windows Pro ? I actually do not use Media Center anyway so Windows 8 without it would be ideal.

2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Thanks
    grandadpaul, welcome to the Lounge!

It might be worth the effort to uninstall Media Center first, then try the Refresh.

I have heard the Refresh is more time consuming than simply starting over with a reinstallation. Don't know for sure from first hand experience.

What caused you to have to Refresh in the first place? Perhaps this could be fixed.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Thanks
    No need to uninstall anything if you are planning to do a full reinstall of Windows 8 Pro.
    I don't have much confidence in that so called free WMP update.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Windows 8.1, 64 bit
    Motherboard: DX58SO2*Chipset: X58 Express/Intel ICH10*BIOS: SOX5820J.86A.0888.2012.0129.2203*Processor: Intel Core i7 CPU X 990
    GPU: Nvidia GTX 580*Memory: Corsair 12 GB, 4x3@1600*PSU: Corsair HX1000*Hard drives: REVO X2 160GB*OCZ VERT X3 120GB*5 mechanical storage drives (12 TB) total.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for your replies. The main reason I am asking is that I did a refresh on my wifes laptop which DID work but did ask for original dvd and activation key (same spec as mine, windows 7 with windows 8 upgrade). But she had not upgraded to Windows Media Center.So I am thinking because of upgrading to WMC on my PC, there is a conflict between the original Activation Key and the new one after installing WMC. So without Windows Media Center on my PC the original Activation Key should work. Although I don't use WMC if I have to keep it ,it doesn't matter. I just want to be able to Refresh etc . There is no particular problem at the moment but if I had one, then I would not be able to sort it other then a re-install of Windows Pro. Also if I re-install, I presume I would use the original Activation Key?

Thanks
    I have to say, if a problem occurs that would require a Refresh or Reinstallation, you could save a huge amount of time by creating Images ahead of time. To Restore an Image takes less than a half hour depending on size, number of partitions, etc. Mine takes less than 10 minutes. Compare this to the several hours of reinstallation.

An Image will create a "snap shot" if you will of your entire system, and restore it to the exact moment the Image was created. For this reason I recreate Images at least monthly after installing updates on patch Tuesday so my Image is very up to date.

There are many discussions on Imaging and the various apps used for this chore in the Maintenance Forum.

If you reinstall, you would use the original key, then use the key you received with Media Center if you add that app.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Thanks
    I agree, as our signatures indicate, imaging really does keep headaches to a minimum.
    They will allow one to experiment more fully without sacrificing ones current software setup.

As for the WMP upgrade, anything that adds to or changes the original product key, is usually bad news & will
    often come back to bite sometime down the road in added unnecessary complexity.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Windows 8.1, 64 bit
    Motherboard: DX58SO2*Chipset: X58 Express/Intel ICH10*BIOS: SOX5820J.86A.0888.2012.0129.2203*Processor: Intel Core i7 CPU X 990
    GPU: Nvidia GTX 580*Memory: Corsair 12 GB, 4x3@1600*PSU: Corsair HX1000*Hard drives: REVO X2 160GB*OCZ VERT X3 120GB*5 mechanical storage drives (12 TB) total.