New Lounger
    Thanks

Server 2008: Where are the users' files stored?

It's not immediately clear to me where user files are being stored. I know that users have profiles that are logging into the server, and the users are all nicely found in active directory. And I know there are different ways to configure where and how users documents are kept. But where can I look to see how this is configured for a particular server? Thanks for reading!

2. Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks
    Users may not be storing files on the server - the default AD set up keeps everything local.
    You can map a home drive for the user via an AD profile or in a login script, but you would usually use group policy to re-direct the user's home drive to the server.
    To check where the user's My Documents are located, open Windows Explorer, right click on My Documents and select Properties.

cheers, Paul

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Paul T For This Useful Post:

Atari (2013-06-11)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks I'll check it out! Is that the preferred way of doing things?

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks
    There isn't really a preferred way, but from a backup / data integrity perspective you should always re-direct the user's My Documents to the server - assuming the server is robust, has a UPS and is backed up automatically every day.

cheers, Paul