New Lounger
    Thanks

References no longer superscript

I have a Word 2010 document, os is Windows 7. The references are all superscript. FTP to client site and they have Word 2010 and Windows 7. Client opens doc, all refs are still superscript. The issue occurs during their review process, which I have not been able to narrow done yet, but it appears to be a multiple reviewer process and then the documents are combined and sent back. That's when the references are "messed up" - some come back superscript and others are now normal, font size 12 and the link does not work.

Without getting the client to change their process, is there anyway I can prevent the references from resizing?

Thanks,

Chris

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    If your document is using the Normal template (as opposed to a custom template), make sure the "Automatically update document styles" settings is turned OFF in the Templates and Add-ins dialog.

With that setting turned on, you can get some undesireable results. For example, assume one of your reviewers has for whatever reason modified their Footnote Reference style set to be not bold and bright green in their Normal template. When they open your document to review it AND if the document has this setting turned on, their Footnote Reference style will take effect -- and they'll see the footnotes in bold and bright green. Worse, if they were to turn the setting off and then send the document back to you, the styles wouln't automatically update and you'd see the footnotes in bold & bright green too.

For an overview of how this works, refer to points 1.3 and 1.4 in Shauna Kelly's explanation "What happens when I send my document to someone else?"

My advice is to always use a custom template for anything that you might share -- and then only provide the template if the other party needs to be able to modify the formatting. As noted in the above link, if the recipient doesn't have a template with the same name, the styles won't be updated even if this setting is left on. Using the Normal template is risky because every Word user has a slightly different version of it -- and even your own version will change over time as you choose different defaults or modify styles.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to EricFletcher For This Useful Post:

the_couchguards (2013-06-14)

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    This sounds like it is an action by one of the reviewers that is causing this problem rather than something to do with the multiple reviewer process itself.

I would assume that the "multiple reviewer process" involves copying the text into another tool and pasting back the updates. Are you sure that all reviewers are using a Windows version of Word? Even if using Word 2010, a reviewer can easily remove the character style of a reference as well as the actual reference link by cutting and pasting as text only.

Eric's advice about the template is sound but I believe the template has nothing to do with the problem you are seeing.
    Andrew Lockton, Chrysalis Design, Melbourne Australia

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Andrew Lockton For This Useful Post:

the_couchguards (2013-06-14)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thank you both. After further review, I found out the references were added manually and the style was normal and the font was superscript. I think I resolved it by creating a ref style and applying it to all the references. That was 2 days ago and nobody screamed, so it must have worked.

Andrew - in this case, the reviewing process just means that each reviewer is opening up their copy of the Word doc, making changes or adding comments and sending it back to "person A" who then combines all the docs. I'm not exactly sure of each reviewers process - I'm not trying to reinvent a client process, but there are better ways.