New Lounger
    Thanks

Unvisited websites appear in Google search history

Recently I have discovered that a large number of websites which I have not visited are being listed in "History" along with those I know I have looked at. Is this a security risk and how are these sites being piggy-backed into "History". I am using IE8 and Google.

Thanks
    I'm not sure, but I'll venture a guess. When you do a Google search, and then click on a resulting link, you never go directly to that site; you always go through one or more intermediate sites on the way to where you want to go. It may be that these intermediate sites are what you are seeing in your history.

Rather than using Google for searches, try startpage.com. Startpage strips out all identifying info, then feeds your search request to Google. You're getting the benefits of a Google search, without giving them any personal info. Using startpage will definitely reduce if not eliminate the intermediate websites which you are sent to when you do searches.
    Last edited by mrjimphelps; 2013-06-12 at 00:37.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for that info. It may seem crazy, but there was a problem with Google homepage and sites like Amazon not displaying correctly. However, when I updated Adobe Flash Player\Active X the problem was cured and the trouble with History disappeared at the same time. Coincidence perhaps? I will give startpage a go.

Thanks
    I avoid everything Google as much as possible, because Google is constantly collecting information, which they then package and sell.

With Google free products (Gmail, Chrome, etc), the stuff you are using isn't the product, it is the bait; the user is actually the product, or, more specifically, the user's personal information.

Google isn't the only one who does this; it's just that they are the worst, in my opinion.

Thanks
    Adverts, and all sorts will cause this.

I use DuckDuckGo as my main search engine to defend against Google's invasiveness.