New Lounger
    Thanks

Turning off System Restore to remove old restore points...

How do I turn off the system restore function so that it kills all the old restore points? I'm trying to clean up my XP SP3 setup. I'm also getting a RUNDLL error whenever I try to access the system restore tab in the system property icon in Control Panel.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
    Try reinstalling System Restore:
    http://bertk.mvps.org/html/reinstall.html

Jerry

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    It does sound as if it needs repair, the setting itself for drive restore point management is in Control Panel>System>System Restore tab. If I remember correctly you have to turn off SR and then reboot if you are going to initiate SR again with a clean slate.

Thanks
    Since I force a new System Restore Point on every boot, those restore points build up pretty fast on my PC.

I've found that I can actually go into Windows Explorer, find and delete OLD restore points.
    Windows Explorer must be set to "show all files".
    I do the same thing from a batch file in my Ghost boot CD. My C drive for XP is still in FAT-32 mode.

If your C drive (Windows XP) is in NTFS mode, you can still boot up into DOS, with a boot CD or Flash Drive, then run NTFS4DOS and then have access to every file on your C drive, from the DOS prompt. Then you can run batch files to delete all the junk files on your HD, including all the old restore points, Pagefile, etc.

After cleaning out ALL the junk files, I do my Ghost backup, check the backup image file and then do an immediate Ghost Restore.

That leaves me with a clean HD that is totally re-written and in perfect order with NO spaces between files and NO fragmentation.

To explain: This is a screen shot, taken of my C drive after a Ghost backup and Restore, reboot to XP and then run Defrag to show the condition of the drive. Of course, the blue area is all the Restored data files and the green area is the Pagefile, re-created by Windows on the first reboot.

That's how I keep my XP drive clean, lean and mean!

Cheers Mates! (I hope this helps someone, somewhere, someday)
    The Doctor
    Experience is truly the best teacher.

Backup! Backup! Backup! GHOST Rocks!

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by DrWho View Post
    I've found that I can actually go into Windows Explorer, find and delete OLD restore points.
    Windows Explorer must be set to "show all files".
    Or use Disk Cleanup: How to remove all System Restore points except the most recent one

Bruce