Lounger
    Thanks

Outlook.com slow receiving email

I read that Outlook.com is a dandy web app, and since I just installed Outlook 2013 desktop, I thought I'd see if, together, they add up to great. But I think my problem may be my ISP, Comcast. Email shows up on the Comcast pretty quickly. But then it takes about 10 minutes for it to arrive in Outlook.com, and then Outlook 2013 is on the tail end. Frustrating. Anyone experience this behavior? Could it be that Comcast doesn't want us to use Outlook.com, because then we wouldn't be fed into their stream of commerce, so they purposely mess with Outlook.com trying to retrieve email?

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    If you setup your Outlook.com to pull email from Comcast it only does that every 30 minutes. Setup your Comcast email to forward to Outlook.com. Forwarding takes places immediately.

Joe

Lounger
    Thanks
    Great idea...but wait. The Comcast address is the one I want to use for everything. If I set up something on Outlook.com for it to forward to, like xyz123@hotmail, then my desktop Outlook will receive it as email to xyz123@hotmail, right? Then when I click Reply from the desktop, wouldn't the reply go to Hotmail instead of the person who wrote to me? Now I'm getting dizzy trying to analyze this.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    Why are you bothering with Outlook.com? why not just use Outlook to access your Comcast account?

Joe

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    I think we need a flowchart of what mail you want to go where. Since you have the desktop client Outlook, I would just set up separate accounts for each. You can always use the Comcast outgoing email server regardless of how many accounts you have if it's the default or if you select reply to sender, select the outgoing email server to use before sending.

At the moment if you have a hotmail.com account or live.com account (or msn.com account??), that is the equivalent of outlook.com.
    If you didn't have a desktop client to use then you might want to forward to one or the other so you only had to go to one web mail site but then as you surmise, any replies would appear to be coming from the web mail site you were using regardless of where they were originally received.

Lounger
    Thanks
    By night, I use Outlook at home. By day, I use the employer's Outlook, where I don't want to mix my personal mail. So I go to Outlook.com there. For years I accessed the mail at the Comcast web site. But the functionality is clunky, it takes endless clicks to see one's inbox, I am more comfortable with an Outlook look-alike, and I had hoped that Outlook.com and Outlook 2013 might talk to one another like members of the same family, rather than like strangers. So far I see little in the way of familial behavior. But I've not yet fully explored whether syncing of calendars, address books and Sent mail is possible.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Ya I don't know about any of that latter stuff either, except I think it's probably a priority with Microsoft to get all that working with the Outlook subscription cloud service first.

In that case where you want the more functional web mail site at work then I think a combination of what JoeP and I said is the way to go. You kind of have to give up on using Comcast as your primary account if you don't use it directly. Forward from Comcast to your hotmail or live account which is your outlook.com account so you can check all your mail there and then set up the account on the desktop client, make sure it leaves a copy on the server until you delete the email and decrease the mail check interval from 15 minutes to 5 or whatever makes more sense to you.

You can even set up a Comcast sending account from thedesktop client if you want it to seem like the mail was sent using your Comcast account, there probably just won't ever be any inbox mail since it's being forwarded to outlook.com.

Lounger
    Thanks
    Well, you've given me some homework here and things to digest. Thanks. I'll have to devote a block of time later this week to try the suggested arrangement(s). Then I'll report back.