Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

Homegroup Passwords

My friend's laptop runs Win 7 Pro with SP1, as does my desktop.

We wish to share files and folders between the two, however they have different homegroup passwords. Can I sort this out by leaving the homegroup on both machines, then starting a homegroup on my desktop and joining the homegroup on the laptop by entering my homegroup password on that?

Advice would be appreciated.

Thanks and regards,
    Roy
    OS Dual Boot Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit & Windows 7 Pro With SP1 64 bit. (Intel Core i7 2600K Processor LGA1155-Asus P867 Pro Motherboard-GTX550 Ti DirectCU Graphics Card-Memory 8GB)

Roy Whitethread

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    No, you can only have one homegroup active on each computer at any time: Multiple Homegroups on one computer?

But you have full control over which of your folders, libraries, files or printers are shared with that homegroup: The HomeGroup feature

Bruce

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi Bruce,

I think you may have misunderstood me. I just now left the Homegroup on my friend's laptop and desktop (I didn't mention the desktop before as there were no sharing problems on that) and on my desktop. I then created a Homegroup on my desktop, and immediately got the "join now" message on my friend's desktop. I entered the Homegroup password on that desktop and everything worked. However, I did not get the "join now" invitation on the laptop, the only option given on that being to create a Homegroup, which I obviously ignored.

Advice as to how to sort out the sharing option on the laptop (which is shown as a member of WORKGROUP) would be appreciated.

Thanks and regards,
    Roy
    OS Dual Boot Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit & Windows 7 Pro With SP1 64 bit. (Intel Core i7 2600K Processor LGA1155-Asus P867 Pro Motherboard-GTX550 Ti DirectCU Graphics Card-Memory 8GB)

Roy Whitethread

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    I believe computers which are asleep or hibernating don't get the invitation, but I think you should be able to go to Control Panel, Homegroup on the laptop and Join Now there.

The network location must be set to Home, not Work or Public.

Bruce
    Last edited by BruceR; 2013-06-12 at 12:29.

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    Bruce, I suddenly realized that the problem related to the routers. We have 4 computers and 3 of them are connected over LAN through a router which sits on my desktop. The 4th one is the laptop where the problem arose. That is on a floor below mine and is normally connected via a second router which is close to that laptop. That laptop can connect wirelessly either through the "downstairs" router or the "upstairs" router. As soon as I changed the connection to the upstairs router it could connect to the other 3 machines, and vice versa, and I could transfer files from my desktop to it.

The laptop concerned did not display any "join now" Homegroup invitation, but connected instantly to the other machines when I clicked Network.

Regards,
    Roy

Roy Whitethread