Adelaide, SA, Australia

Curious problem with system time

G'day folks!

If this query is not appropriate for this Forum, I apologise and would appreciate if someone could point me to one more relevant.

Tonight, my time (Central Australian Standard Time, or Greenwich +9:30), I downloaded an installation "kit" for a piece of software. When I downloaded the file it was 9:56 pm CAST, 12-Jun-2013. When the download finished, I used Windows Explorer to check that the file had downloaded OK and was all there and in the place where I normally put my installation files.

Imagine my surprise when the "Date Modified" column on the display showed "13/06/2013 8:26 AM", which is 10 hours and 30 minutes ahead of the time of the download!

My system time, as displayed in the Notification Area (?) of my screen (bottom right hand corner) was CAST, i.e it was displaying (by then) "9:58 PM 12/06/2013".

My computer is a Dell Inc. OptiPlex 755 with a 3.00 gigahertz Intel Core2 Duo and 4 GB Main Memory, running Windows 7 Ultimate N (x64) Service Pack 1 (build 7601).

This isn't the first time I've noticed such a discrepancy between actual time and "Date Modified" time, it's just the first time I've decided to ask anyone about it.

Does anyone know what causes it?

I presume, in the long run, it makes no difference to anything, it's just weird and I wondered what might be at the bottom of it.

Thanks in advance to anyone who can help with an answer.

5 Star Lounger
    Since I don't have Windows 7, I can't relate to the "Date Modified" column; however, If I understand it correctly the time on yor computer is ok
    --- Is this true?

If so the time that you saw 10 hours and 30 minutes ahead of the time might be the time of the location where the originating program is and that software company has their coordinated time for when updating and using their software