5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Patch Tuesday loaded up with nonsecurity updates

PATCH WATCH

Patch Tuesday loaded up with nonsecurity updates

By Susan Bradley

We're half way though the year and half way to the century mark for Windows security bulletins. The June Patch Tuesday leads off with a few security updates plus a bunch of nonsecurity fixes.

The full text of this column is posted at windowssecrets.com/patch-watch/patch-tuesday-loaded-up-with-nonsecurity-updates/ (opens in a new window/tab).

Columnists typically cannot reply to comments here, but do incorporate the best tips into future columns.
    Last edited by Kathleen Atkins; 2013-06-12 at 17:20.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Kathleen Atkins For This Useful Post:

dbailey18 (2013-06-13)

Thanks
    I love this column Susan ! but most of the time I have already installed some of the updates you have suggested to wait on . I just wish this would come out a little sooner .

Thanks
    I accepted the offered .NET updates, and once again found that a check of the NGEN function in the Framework64 folder revealed a ton of needed activity along with the usual batch of "Warning" and "Failed" reports. It took about three minutes on Win 7 Pro SP1 for NGEN to finish its compiling job, even though I ran it after the last batch of .NET updates.

I haven't seen the common-with-XP behavior of long, long boot-times after .NET updates, but I think it's still worth the small effort (after any .NET update) of running a cmd prompt as admin, navigating to C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework64 (or Framework)\v4.0.30319 and typing NGEN executequeueditems at the prompt. When the prompt returns, the function has finished. Until then, patience is a virtue. If nothing is required, the NGEN function will tell you so.

Wisewiz (who is extremely tired of .NET updates)
    Last edited by Wisewiz; 2013-06-13 at 09:48. Reason: additional info
    Wisewiz
    To those who have no knowledge of computing, those who have even a little knowledge seem like wizards.